Menopause - it is debilitating. Why don't doctors know this?

By November 29, 2011 - 9:53am

My whole life has changed dramatically - no doctor seems to understand....

I am suffering terrible in perimenopause, hot flashes, headaches, always tired always in pain, I told my primary care, my gynecologist and my endocrinologist and all just nodded their heads and moved on.

I completely agree. i feel like hell, chronically tired, no energy, headaches, weakness and sore muscles, can not tolerate exercise, sore throat and squeaky voice, extremely sensitive to the cold, emotional, somewhat depressed and apathetic. I am not my up beat, hard working self. I don't know who I have become but it is not good and ruining my life. I feel horrible 24/7.

Hi Photinee

Thank you for your post and welcome.

Many doctors do realize how difficult and life-changing menopause can be. You just need to find the right one and your current doctor is obviously not right for you.

Do you have insurance? If so, go through your handbooks and find doctors who specialize in menopause. A female doctor may be a good choice for you. Look for reviews of the doctors and don't be afraid to interview one before becoming a patient. It isn't that uncommon to preview a few doctors before settling on one.

See if any particular doctors have been involved in research studies. Ask other menopausal women you know for their advice/opinions about their own doctors.

Try some of these options and see if you can find a better doctor than the one you have now.

And please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Our best to you,

Menopause Guide