Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Menopause weight gain

By blh2009

I am fifty two years old and have not had a period in two years. Just two weeks ago my doctor injected the Natural Hormone Pellets, and prescribed 200mg. Pometrium (progesterone). However, I have gained about six pounds in only two weeks, my diet had not changed and I getting totally disgusted. Has anyone else experienced this? And does it seem to be temporaty?

Anonymous

I am 49 and have been on bioidentical hormones for 6 weeks now (oestrogen and progesterone troches) and though Im so grateful that the depression is gone and energy has returned (after struggling for the last 4 years until the fatigue and depression and anxiety became so debilitating that I was in great distress and almost unable t work) I am however now genuinely frightened of the continued weight gain (5 kilos in 6 weeks)! Ive been on the 5:2 lifestyle diet for 2 weeks and am the oily person I know who has acutally gained weight on it. I am a healthy eater ( a dance teacher some time ago so know good health etc) and just can't sustain the stress and embarrassment of this sort of weight gain. I can no longer wear shorts and won't swim and am aware that a number of friends are noticing, let alone my husband trying to say its ok even despite no libido (as long as we can stop it from here). Will coming off the hormones help return my weight to normal as Id almost rather be depressed than humiliated. Please help!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I'm really sorry to read about this, that definitely is a lot of weight gain and a short amount of time and is probably really physically uncomfortable as well as emotionally hard to take. 

Some hormone replacements are estrogen only but these can help raise the risk of ovarian cancer so are better from women who have had a hysterectomy. There are progestin only options. And a combination. 

Which kind are you on? Many people have to fiddle around with their dosages to find what works for me. I think this is something you discuss with your doctor as soon as possible - 5k is bad enough it that's the extent of it but if you keep gaining, something needs to be done. 

'only', not 'oily' (damn autocorrect)

Anonymous

I am 48 years old and on my second round of Hormone therapy. During this time I have gained 7 pounds and am totally grossed out by my body! I am a work out fanatic so no my diet has not changed nor my workouts, well I will say my workouts are increased in intensity because of the weight gain. I have gained this weight in my abdomen, hips, quads, and butt! My clothes do not fit and I am miserable from the weight gain, but pleased that my hot tantrums at night, hair loss, and temper have gotten better. Please help me understand what is going on with my body. I know people will go what is she grumbling about when I say my zero clothes don't fit anymore, but I have truly earned those zero pants. Could this be water retention since it is only in my lower half? Please help! Stressed in Tennessee!!!!!

Anonymous

my experience on bio identical testosterone ,progesterone and estrogen and menopause itself ...is the same results..big butt and popped out tummy and heavy legs at top...
yes my pants keep getting tighter too no matter what i do....but i have read this is in the hormones making you gain and can also be a low thyroid....i have not found any remedies but wearing shapewear online from jcpenney that goes below the knee that help make dress pants look better and more toned....other than that...just disgusted also....i have never gained like this and it is really hard wondering how much more weigh..i have went up two pant sizes this year....from a 2 to a 6/8 so i know what you mean hence i am very short so i look so heavy on the bottom and slimmer up top but my skin is aging fast also and crepey...this is really not a good time...

Anon, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with menopause.

While your symptoms are definitely seen in many menopausal women, I do think it's also a good idea to get your thyroid checked out. Have you done this yet, or talked to your doctor about it?

neversurrendr

BTW, test results...
Folic Stimulating Hormone (FSH)-30.4
Luteinizing Hormone (LH)-29.1
Progesterone-0.37
Estrogen-71.1

For postmenopausal woman, estrogen range is suppose to be 0-30. Progressive docs in the field say you won't feel great until you are at least at 90, even menopausal or post-menopausal.
Post and menopausal women should be at <1 for progesterone. But she is above range on estrogen and at the low end of the progesterone range. This is why I think estrogen dominance. We get zero cooperation from our doctors, they treat the individual labs without really looking at the balance or trying things until she feels better. So, basically, I have to be the hammer... Thanks!

Diane Porter (reply to neversurrendr)

Neversurrendr,

I think you're wonderful to work so hard for answers and information on your wife's behalf. I'm very concerned that you "get zero cooperation from our doctors." With the amount of work you do to research your wife's conditions and symptoms, I am sure that you worked to find good doctors; but you are not pleased with them? Are these specialists in hormones and/or fibromyalgia?

Has any doctor suggested trying a natural progesterone for your wife? Or if you suggested it, what was his/her response?

You mention that your wife is 49 and started menopause at 45. I am assuming this means total cessation of periods at that time, right? So she's been in menopause for about four years?

You have probably found this site, but it may be helpful:

http://www.natural-progesterone-advisory-network.com/symptoms-of-estroge...

I am wondering if your wife would benefit from seeing a naturopathic physician. Naturopathic physicians do consider the entire body and all its systems/symptoms when they are treating a patient. They are not conventional physicians -- though they often work with conventional physicians. They use natural processes to help the body heal itself.

Here's an EmpowHer article about going to a naturopath:

http://www.empowher.com/reproductive-system/content/why-would-anyone-go-...

Here is the site for the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, and there's a box where you can search for those near you. You can then look at the websites for the areas of emphasis for invidual physicians to see if they are a fit for you:

http://www.naturopathic.org/

Where do you live, neversurrendr? (Just city and state). Do you have a lot of options available to you?

neversurrendr

Hi Diane. This actually about my wife (I'm the husband). She has a ton of symptoms. HOWEVER, she has been diagnosed with fybromyalgia and she is disabled because of it (she is 49). Here is the kicker- the fybro symptoms match the estrogen dominance list I find everywhere. AND the fybro symptoms came on the same time as menipause at 45. She has an immune disorder that overreacts to everything, so I spend days, weeks, months chasing answers down. I understand all about hormonal balance and so forth. I just can't find the actual corresponding numbers for testosterone and progesterone based on a given estrogen number. Everything seems to everything you need except actual numbers to compare... Crazy, right?

neversurrendr

I've searched the web over... Can't find what the actual numbers for balance are. Example: Estrogen is 30, progesterone should be?? Estrogen is 80, progesterone should be?? Estrogen is 200, progesterone should be??

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :