Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Menopause weight gain

By blh2009

I am fifty two years old and have not had a period in two years. Just two weeks ago my doctor injected the Natural Hormone Pellets, and prescribed 200mg. Pometrium (progesterone). However, I have gained about six pounds in only two weeks, my diet had not changed and I getting totally disgusted. Has anyone else experienced this? And does it seem to be temporaty?

Anonymous

I am 48 years old and on my second round of Hormone therapy. During this time I have gained 7 pounds and am totally grossed out by my body! I am a work out fanatic so no my diet has not changed nor my workouts, well I will say my workouts are increased in intensity because of the weight gain. I have gained this weight in my abdomen, hips, quads, and butt! My clothes do not fit and I am miserable from the weight gain, but pleased that my hot tantrums at night, hair loss, and temper have gotten better. Please help me understand what is going on with my body. I know people will go what is she grumbling about when I say my zero clothes don't fit anymore, but I have truly earned those zero pants. Could this be water retention since it is only in my lower half? Please help! Stressed in Tennessee!!!!!

Anonymous

my experience on bio identical testosterone ,progesterone and estrogen and menopause itself ...is the same results..big butt and popped out tummy and heavy legs at top...
yes my pants keep getting tighter too no matter what i do....but i have read this is in the hormones making you gain and can also be a low thyroid....i have not found any remedies but wearing shapewear online from jcpenney that goes below the knee that help make dress pants look better and more toned....other than that...just disgusted also....i have never gained like this and it is really hard wondering how much more weigh..i have went up two pant sizes this year....from a 2 to a 6/8 so i know what you mean hence i am very short so i look so heavy on the bottom and slimmer up top but my skin is aging fast also and crepey...this is really not a good time...

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with menopause.

While your symptoms are definitely seen in many menopausal women, I do think it's also a good idea to get your thyroid checked out. Have you done this yet, or talked to your doctor about it?

neversurrendr

BTW, test results...
Folic Stimulating Hormone (FSH)-30.4
Luteinizing Hormone (LH)-29.1
Progesterone-0.37
Estrogen-71.1

For postmenopausal woman, estrogen range is suppose to be 0-30. Progressive docs in the field say you won't feel great until you are at least at 90, even menopausal or post-menopausal.
Post and menopausal women should be at <1 for progesterone. But she is above range on estrogen and at the low end of the progesterone range. This is why I think estrogen dominance. We get zero cooperation from our doctors, they treat the individual labs without really looking at the balance or trying things until she feels better. So, basically, I have to be the hammer... Thanks!

Diane Porter (reply to neversurrendr)

Neversurrendr,

I think you're wonderful to work so hard for answers and information on your wife's behalf. I'm very concerned that you "get zero cooperation from our doctors." With the amount of work you do to research your wife's conditions and symptoms, I am sure that you worked to find good doctors; but you are not pleased with them? Are these specialists in hormones and/or fibromyalgia?

Has any doctor suggested trying a natural progesterone for your wife? Or if you suggested it, what was his/her response?

You mention that your wife is 49 and started menopause at 45. I am assuming this means total cessation of periods at that time, right? So she's been in menopause for about four years?

You have probably found this site, but it may be helpful:

http://www.natural-progesterone-advisory-network.com/symptoms-of-estroge...

I am wondering if your wife would benefit from seeing a naturopathic physician. Naturopathic physicians do consider the entire body and all its systems/symptoms when they are treating a patient. They are not conventional physicians -- though they often work with conventional physicians. They use natural processes to help the body heal itself.

Here's an EmpowHer article about going to a naturopath:

http://www.empowher.com/reproductive-system/content/why-would-anyone-go-...

Here is the site for the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, and there's a box where you can search for those near you. You can then look at the websites for the areas of emphasis for invidual physicians to see if they are a fit for you:

http://www.naturopathic.org/

Where do you live, neversurrendr? (Just city and state). Do you have a lot of options available to you?

neversurrendr

Hi Diane. This actually about my wife (I'm the husband). She has a ton of symptoms. HOWEVER, she has been diagnosed with fybromyalgia and she is disabled because of it (she is 49). Here is the kicker- the fybro symptoms match the estrogen dominance list I find everywhere. AND the fybro symptoms came on the same time as menipause at 45. She has an immune disorder that overreacts to everything, so I spend days, weeks, months chasing answers down. I understand all about hormonal balance and so forth. I just can't find the actual corresponding numbers for testosterone and progesterone based on a given estrogen number. Everything seems to everything you need except actual numbers to compare... Crazy, right?

neversurrendr

I've searched the web over... Can't find what the actual numbers for balance are. Example: Estrogen is 30, progesterone should be?? Estrogen is 80, progesterone should be?? Estrogen is 200, progesterone should be??

Diane Porter (reply to neversurrendr)

Neversurrendr (great username!)

This is so, so complicated. It can make a person's head spin. It depends on your age, your stage of life, and your medical history (for instance, whether you still have your uterus and ovaries). Like you, I tried searching for any sort of basic ratio formula but didn't come up with anything dependable.

It's the very reason why it's so difficult to figure out what is perfect for each woman; why there are creams, pills, patches and pellets; why there are clinics and books and doctors and laypeople. We are in a fascinating time right now, with so many options, but it is a frustrating time too if you are someone suffering from symptoms and can't find the information you need.

This is on a doctor's website who deals with hormone imbalances. It is a quiz that helps you zero in on possible areas of imbalance by having you check off symptoms and then refer to certain books for more information:

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/resource_hormonetest.html

How old are you, Neversurrendr? Are you in perimenopause or menopause? Have you had your hormone levels tested? Are you working with a doctor to try to achieve this "balance"? Are you on any HRT?

Diane Porter

BLH2009,

I'm glad that you've lost the five pounds -- that gets you back to just a one-pound net gain, right? Since that was a primary concern in your first note, that's good news for sure.

From reading about women's reactions to the SottoPelle pellets (if that is what you are on), it seems that their reaction to the prometrium and the testosterone can be a VERY individual thing. Some women seem more sensitive to one or the other and they see the effects in their temperament, their libido and/or even in such physical symptoms as bleeding (when they had been menopausal or perimenopausal).

The Premarin for 12 days -- will that be for 12 days just once, or every month?

BLH, do you still have your uterus and/or ovaries? (I ask because doctors can prescribe different hormones for women who have had hysterectomies than they can for women who still have all those organs intact.)

blh2009 (reply to Diane Porter)

Hi Diane..and thank you for your response. I still have my uterus and ovaries. And I was to start the Premarin for twelve days (each month) ,but I decided to start on the Life Flo Progesta Cream instead. I was not eager for the side effects of Premarin, I would much prefer natural. Anyway, I am now really getting frustrated with my weight. I joined a gym two months ago, and have been going almost daily. For the past two weeks, I have mastered burning 500 calories doing cardio(elliptical, cross trainer,stationary bike), and am doing weight training about two to three times a week. However, my pants are getting tighter:-( I know how to eat correctly since I used to train years ago. I called my doctor today and spoke with his nurse to ask if others are complaining about weight gain with the pellets, and she said some do gain about five pounds. But with the magnitude of exercising I am doing I cannot imagine me gaining any inches after two months. The pellets injected were 2 testosterone@75 mg ea. and 2 estrogen@50 mg. ea.. I am beginning to wonder if the testosterone could be creating this swelling effect. I am at a loss, and am so totally disgusted. But I am not going to give up excercising, but I would really like to know if anyone else is or has had this problem and has possibly recieved some good advise on what to do that has helped them.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :