Menopause weight gain

By December 21, 2009 - 5:51pm

I am fifty two years old and have not had a period in two years. Just two weeks ago my doctor injected the Natural Hormone Pellets, and prescribed 200mg. Pometrium (progesterone). However, I have gained about six pounds in only two weeks, my diet had not changed and I getting totally disgusted. Has anyone else experienced this? And does it seem to be temporaty?

Hello everyone, I am post-menopausal, 48 years old, 5'5" and weighed 123-126 my entire life. I eat healthy and exercise. My integrative doctor phased my bioidentical HRT delivery to pellets earlier this year and I am on my 3rd set (estrogen 100 mg, testosterone 82mg paired with 125mg progesterone capsule from local compound pharmacy). After starting HRT regimen nearly 3 years ago, I gained 5-7 pounds despite my doctor alleging I would lose weight - what a joke considering my lifestyle and diet did NOT change. It was incredibly frustrating and chalked it up to mostly age & slower metabolism. 2 months ago I transitioned to working from home (same employer/same position). Interestingly, I was also at the end of my pellet cycle - had my labs drawn and my estradial level was down to 21 (my personal lowest ever). I felt really good despite my extremely low estradiol & even lost 4-5 pounds which I could NOT shed when my hormone levels were higher. I concluded working from home & removing stress was a huge factor with my symptoms. I considered bailing on pellet therapy but my integrative doctor encouraged me to stick with it. I had same pellet Rx inserted 2 weeks ago and I've already gained back 5 pounds! Sooo incredibly frustrating. I am posting this thread to let others know YES it is very possible to lose weight quickly & easily if pellet therapy is ceased (I basically had little to no hormones left in me towards end of pellet cycle). Also important to factor stress in our lives as in my case, stress directly impacted my personal physical and mental well being. Needless to say, I plan to discontinue pellet therapy after this round.

Thanks for sharing your experiences Anon. At 46, I expect to be exploring my options in the next five years so hearing everyone's different experiences is great for all of us.

I am on my third set of pellets and have gained 30 pounds now with no change to eating habits or exercise. I am totally disgusted with the changes in my body over such a short time. I have never had a weight problem even after menopause, this occurs with a couple weeks of getting pellets and continues to increase. My doctor also did not warn me this could be a problem and now tells me some women gain weight from them. I have decided to stop the pellets due to the weight gain and no increase in energy or libido after the first set. Each time the dosage is changed with no physical change except continued weight gain I also wish I had not listened to others telling me this was a miracle cure. I only hope stopping the pellets will help me regain my figure.

I too had the Biote Testosterone pellet and have continually gained weight in the stomach area. In the past 4 months, I have gained 30 pounds. I have never had a problem with my stomach being big at all. Always a flat stomach and this weight gained is killing me. I'm so depressed. Have no energy. It's HORRIBLE! The Dr put me on phentermine to help lose the weight and it does not even touch it. I have lap band so I don't eat a lot. I'm at my wits end on this. I would give anything if I wouldn't have listened to friends that say they were having awesome results with this pellet as far as energy and libido. ALL I got from it is FAT! Please let me know if any of you have this problem and what if anything you have done to get your life back.

(reply to Dawnwatson)

All my doctor says is that cortisol is the problem. But before I go further- I posted myself about a month ago. I got notices that people replied but can't see/find any replies though I follow the link. Any way you can respond that you got this?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Holly33)

Hi Holly

I can see this reply - I hope the above poster gets back to you.

The missing replies to you may have been spam that has been since removed.

I had pellet insert 1.5 years ago. I was 62. Menopause since 39. First 3 days gained 8 pounds by the 6th day was up 14 lbs. Yes. I still am "locked in" to this no matter what I do. Had pneumonia and didn't move much lost 18 lbs. Within a few days of being well all back again. Going back to Dr. My thyroid fine, but the pellet even had me start to try to cycle and Id had an eblasion.
I keep being told nothing can be done.

Tell me you aren't using those pellets anymore!

Hi - I am 48 and just had the pellets put in about a month ago. I immediately gained 5 lbs. on them. I work out 6-7 days a week and I am a die hard beachbody workout person! I called my Dr. and he said that I wasn't getting enough Progesterone as compared to the Estrogen pellets and to increase my cream to 2 pumps a day instead of one. I did this for a week and still no change. I then added a half a pump of the Progesterone cream at lunchtime and now I have finally started to lose weight. For those of you who haven't explored this option - you might want to try it to see if it works for you.

I am 48 and I have weighed between 110-115 just about my whole adult life (except of course not when I was pregnant) the most I have ever weighed is 143 and that was when I was on bed rest for 3 months with my son and that was 19 years ago . I had a great recovery after having both of my kids right back down 115 like the week after them both. Now I got this first pellet put in I weigh more now that I did when I pregnant I am about to go into total depression I just don't know how much more I can deal with !! I want to get back down to at least 115 if that's the lowest I can. do I stop getting this pellet or what ? I am also takin a hormone pill , is this gain cause of taking both? Does anybody know?

Menopause Guide