Menopause weight gain

By December 21, 2009 - 5:51pm

I am fifty two years old and have not had a period in two years. Just two weeks ago my doctor injected the Natural Hormone Pellets, and prescribed 200mg. Pometrium (progesterone). However, I have gained about six pounds in only two weeks, my diet had not changed and I getting totally disgusted. Has anyone else experienced this? And does it seem to be temporaty?

Anonymous

I am 48 and I have weighed between 110-115 just about my whole adult life (except of course not when I was pregnant) the most I have ever weighed is 143 and that was when I was on bed rest for 3 months with my son and that was 19 years ago . I had a great recovery after having both of my kids right back down 115 like the week after them both. Now I got this first pellet put in I weigh more now that I did when I pregnant I am about to go into total depression I just don't know how much more I can deal with !! I want to get back down to at least 115 if that's the lowest I can. do I stop getting this pellet or what ? I am also takin a hormone pill , is this gain cause of taking both? Does anybody know?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Please talk with your physician about this. I can say that as we age, our metabolic rate decreases. We don't burn the calories as we once did. You can try increasing your level of physical activity and closely watch the number of calories you are consuming.

Anonymous

I have now had my 3rd set of pellets inserted and have gained about 25 pounds. I went to a new PCP, who has done a sonogram to make sure nothing odd is happening with my organs. My gyno also put me on thyroid medicine and I am still gaining. I work out, I eat a healthy diet, and have a personal trainer. No one said anything about having weight gain, only that the benefits of the pellets were wonderful. I've increased in my clothes, and feel terrible from the weight gain. I've told the new PCP, I will not have any more put in and go back to the pill I took for years. Now, we are talking about placing me on phentermine just to get this 25+ pounds off. It has been a frustrating, depressing, and eye opening experience. Reading these posts from others has at least helped in that I felt like I was going insane.

I am also on my 3rd round of pellets and have gained 25 pounds!! I have never gained weight like this in my life... I eat super healthy, run 6 miles a day, and do Pilates. I feel like I am completely out of control. Did you (or anyone else on here) stop getting the pellets and were able to loose the weight??

I'm in the same boat. 12 lbs and got third insertion March 9.
I was a little heavy to begin with but had a top weight I would never surpass- been that way for years. After second insertion it was almost like I was pregnant- each week the lbs would just add up. I too am planning on stopping pellets and hoping someone can tell me how easy the weight fell off after. I feel like I have basically been paying tons of money to get fat.
Praying the weight goes after the hormones leave.

I am 45 and I am on my first round of pellets. I have gained 5 lbs in probably two week since getting the pellets. I got the pellets because of some weight gain and menopausal issues. I am working out more than I ever have and constantly watching my diet. I am about to lose my mind because I was told this would help me lose weight. I don't think I will do a second round after reading all the comments. Has anyone lost after stopping the pellets is the question I have or am I stuck with this? Would like some feedback on if anyone has stopped and what happened when stopping?

I'm 48 and decide to have the pellets because of great results I heard. To my horror this has been the worst thing I've done. I had two sets injected and gained 25 lbs. last set was in January and still have not been able to lose the weight! The doctor keeps telling me it's fluid and I finally told her that's B. S., not fluid...all the pellets have done for me was open up fat cells. I'm miserable and embarrassed, unable to take a lb. off. I hardly eat and still full of excess fat that has come onto my hips & stomach. NEVER will I have any kind of hormone replacement!

(reply to Anonymous)

The exact same thing happened to me. Can you tell me if you were prescribed something to help lose the weight and what it was? I am working out constantly and watching what I eat and can't lose it. So frustrated.

Anonymous

I am 49 and have been on bioidentical hormones for 6 weeks now (oestrogen and progesterone troches) and though Im so grateful that the depression is gone and energy has returned (after struggling for the last 4 years until the fatigue and depression and anxiety became so debilitating that I was in great distress and almost unable t work) I am however now genuinely frightened of the continued weight gain (5 kilos in 6 weeks)! Ive been on the 5:2 lifestyle diet for 2 weeks and am the oily person I know who has acutally gained weight on it. I am a healthy eater ( a dance teacher some time ago so know good health etc) and just can't sustain the stress and embarrassment of this sort of weight gain. I can no longer wear shorts and won't swim and am aware that a number of friends are noticing, let alone my husband trying to say its ok even despite no libido (as long as we can stop it from here). Will coming off the hormones help return my weight to normal as Id almost rather be depressed than humiliated. Please help!

I'm really sorry to read about this, that definitely is a lot of weight gain and a short amount of time and is probably really physically uncomfortable as well as emotionally hard to take. 

Some hormone replacements are estrogen only but these can help raise the risk of ovarian cancer so are better from women who have had a hysterectomy. There are progestin only options. And a combination. 

Which kind are you on? Many people have to fiddle around with their dosages to find what works for me. I think this is something you discuss with your doctor as soon as possible - 5k is bad enough it that's the extent of it but if you keep gaining, something needs to be done. 

Menopause

Menopause Guide