menstral cycle when on the master cleanse diet.

I have had irregular menstrual flow since I can remember. When I was a virgin, l could go 2 to 3 months without menstruation but I paid no mind to it cos I knew I wasn't pregnant and so it didn't really bother me. Now am 24 years of age and I havevnt seen my period for 6 to 7 months. I decided to try the master cleanse diet in other to loose weight. I chose to do the diet for ten days. 6 days into the diet, I saw my first period in after 7 months. Boy was I delighted but halfway into the day I realized I had used almost a whole pack of pad. That was the heaviest flow I had in my entire life. It continued for 7 days. I was pleased that after 7 months, I had finally seen my period but also scared that it's abnormal. The next month I saw my period n it was a normal flow but the pains that came with it was so severe that I could hardly stand straight for 3 days. The pains was most severe around my waist and my abdomen. Is it normal?

Thank for your post!

The jury is still out on whether cleanses like this affect the menstrual cycle. Some women say it makes them bleed very heavily and some women say it helps to regulate them.

But a master cleanse is done in a short time (3-10 days usually) and I don't think this is the issue you should worry about.

It's not good to not have periods, even though it can seem so at the time. A cycle that is as irregular as yours may mean that you have cysts, polycystic ovarian syndrome or some kind of infection or pelvic disease that is causing a lack of periods. You may also have fertility issues own the road. One way or the other, you have a hormonal imbalance in your body that is causing the kind of cycle you have.

Read more on polycystic ovaries here:

I think it's a very good idea for you to see a doctor (a gynecologist) about this. You probably should have seen one several years ago. He or she can do an examination and a series of blood tests and scans to see what is going on with your reproduction system.