Menstruating but bleeding stops when I use a tampon...is this normal?

I'm on a birth control pill so my periods are very regular (usually). It's a week before I take the sugar pills and have my period so I'm still on the pill and I've started bleeding. If I use a pad it will continue to bleed lightly but once I use a tampon the bleeding slows down significantly if not even stops I know this because when I take the tampon out it has a very very small amount of blood on it if any. I normally use tampons and have no problem and was just wondering if this was a normal change of my period or something I should worry about. Thank you!

Mine is quite similar to yours in the sense that the bleeding stops, but for me, the next menstruation doesn't occur until about a week or two later. Not immediately after half an hour or so like yours. But it is nice to hear a case similar to my own.

I have this exact problem. I'm on a heavy flow so I insert a tampon. 3-4 hours later I take it out & there's barely anything. Then about 20 minutes later my menstrual cycle resumes to a heavy flow followed by cramps. I'm so confused!!

I don't think you did anything to cause this. But, something has changed. I am glad that you will be finding a gynecologist in your area and make an appointment.

A pelvic exam and a pelvic ultrasound should give you an answer and peace of mind.

Please keep in touch,

Thank you, I just moved and will most definitely try to find a gynecologist in the area and get an appointment as soon as I can. Quick question though I've been using tampons for close to five years now and this just started this week, is this something that just happens or did I do something to cause it?

Is sounds like you may have developed a retrograde uterus. This means your uterus may be at an angle. When you insert a tampon, the tampon cuts off the bleeding. This is an educated guess.

I strongly suggest that you make an appointment with your gynecologist. A pelvic examination and diagnostic testing, such as a pelvic ultrasound will help find the cause.

Oh and once I take the tampon out I will start to bleed normally again about 30 minutes later to the point where I need a light pad.