With 'Mets to Bones', my R arm broke. I'm hoping to find a way to help it/better yet repair the break. Any advice??

By February 10, 2011 - 10:41pm

With Breast Cancer Mets to the Bones, I have a (pathalogical) broken arm from a year ago -- still broken. The surgeons I've met with so far say there's no surgery that can repair it because the bone is too brittle and fragile and that a repair involving almost shoulder to elbow, would put me at serious risk for a bad infection and possibly causing it to be amputated as a result. I am currently undergoing Chemo (Ixempra) which is working well and bringing my tumor markers way down, but it seems that there must be a way to improve the condition of my arm's bones. Also, I had to stop bone strengtheners due to a reaction of my jawbone (a small part of my jawbone was exposed, but months later healed, still it was enough for my Oncologist to insist we stop treatment for fear of Necrosis of the Jawbone). Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions that can be offered!! I would consider going out of the country if any treatment is out there and not currently here in the US. P.S. I love your website!! Lori

Hi Lori

Thanks for your post and we're delighted you like our website!

I'm sorry you are going through breast cancer treatment at the moment, as well as dealing with this kind of break. Your doctors seem to believe your bones are very fragile indeed.

Chemo can cause osteoporosis so since you're undergoing that at the moment, I can understand the concern of your doctors. People undergoing treatment for breast cancer are actually more at risk for bone weakening.

Radiation can actually help with bone pain. Are you in pain due to your break? Are you taking medications for this?

There is also surgery, of course, but it seems like your doctor is against that for now, likely with good cause.

Another treatment may be medications known as bisphosphonates. These have shown to strengthen bones in cancer patients. Have you discussed these with your doctor?

I hope to hear back from you soon!

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide