Q: 

Mirena

I recently got the Mirena about 2 weeks ago. (May 18th) My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex and he finished inside me. I am a bit scared because I am not sure how long it takes for the Mirena to take in effect? I am very paranoid and I am not sure if I should take the Plan B

Guide

Hi, Anon.

Thank you for posting.

Most doctors say 7 days, so a backup method of birth control should be used during that time. This is something that you and your doctor should have discussed. Depending on what time during your cycle Mirena was placed, he may advise differently. Call your doctor first before taking the ECP as you may not need it. If you do take it, read all the information that comes with so you know what to expect.

Helena