miscarriage or breakthrough bleeding? or early period??

By Anonymous April 2, 2012 - 9:51am

I'm currently on the minipill. I'm good about taking it on time. I have been taking it for about two weeks when I got my period. My period was different. The blood was lighter (pinkish-orange color) but otherwise it was normal. After my period ended, I have been spotting on and off. Then Saturday, I started to heavily bleed and passing clots around the size of a quarter or a little bigger. Sunday, the bleeding was barely there. Today (Monday), the bleeding is heavy again and I'm passing big clots again. I went to the doc, they gave me pregnancy test (urine) and it came out negative. My pap smear and stuff were normal (had an annual like two weeks before my period when I started the mini-pill). I'm also having some pretty bad cramps. I have been having unprotected sex and I'm was (or am) pregnant. I'm feeling nausea today. The doctor was sure that it was just breakthrough bleeding. Are these normal symptoms of breakthrough bleeding or should I be concerned and go back for more testing?

Hi Anonymous

Firstly, you should not have had your "period" two weeks after starting the pill - that should happen on week 4 of taking it.

It sounds very heavy for break-through bleeding. Break through bleeding doesn't usually contain large clots, etc.

If you took a pregnancy test via your doctor and it's negative, then it's very unlikely you are pregnant. Your body must be adjusting to the Pill in a rather harsh way.

Stay on the Pill and take it exactly as directed to see what the next month will bring. If this kind of bleeding continues, consider changing the Pill you are taking. Not all Pills suit all women.

Good luck and please keep us posted,

sorry mean to say that I'm not sure if I was or am pregnant.