miscarriage on the way?

I'm around 5 weeks pregnant. 4 days ago i started spotting. I went to the emergency room on november 7. My hcg was only 208, she said it was low, but still in the range. Is it possible that i will have a healthy pregnancy, or am i on my way to a miscarriage?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Some women do have spotting during their pregnancies as well as low hCG levels and go on to have very healthy babies! Your levels should be picking up every day so hopefully at your next reading, they will be a lot stronger.

As to whether you are on your way to a miscarriage, we would have no idea on that and I hope that you don't feel that way. The difficult part is that at this stage, there is little to be done to prevent miscarriage but go on and live as what you are - a pregnant woman and try not to overthink things. Very difficult, I know but you ARE pregnant, your levels are low but workable.

At only 5 weeks along, your levels are not that unusual. It's in the next 1-2 weeks that they should start doubling nearly every day. Give yourself another couple of weeks before you worry too much and remember again, that some women experience low levels throughout pregnancy.

Again, congratulations and stay very cautiously optimistic that things are fine. Just keep an eye on things and stay as healthy as you can. It's up to nature to take it's course now. At this stage, your job is to keep your stress levels low and live a healthy life - but other than that you're just along for the ride!

I hope things remain well for you and please keep us updated - I know this is a trying and difficult time right now, but I wish the best for your for a great 9 months and hope to hear good news from you soon.