Missed BCP, pregnant?

I recently started new birth control. Was on tricyclen lo, now YAZ. Usually a Sunday start, but I didn't start till Tuesday, because I had to get the new prescription. After taking 3 pills I went on vacation, and forgot to take them with me. We don't use any other form of BC except for the pull out method, and that's only occasionally. We had unprotected sex twice during the 3 missed days, and atleast the day prior and day after. Just wondering what are the chances we are pregnant?

Hi anon,
Anytime you miss pills, your chances of pregnancy increase. There is no number or percentage that we can provide, to let you know what your chances of pregnancy are, unfortunately.

The pill is about 99% effective at preventing pregnancy when used consistently and correctly; when pills are missed (especially 2 or more in-a-row), then this effectiveness rate decreases. Sex during the time you missed your pills, as well as the days afterward, all create chances for pregnancy (a back-up method of birth control, such as a condom, is needed for up to 7 days after missed pills to prevent chance of pregnancy).

The withdrawal method that you practiced is a good last resort, as it can be up to 75% effective at preventing pregnancy. However, if you only used this occasionally, then this effectiveness rate also diminishes significantly.

If you had unprotected sex recently, within the last 120 hours, you still have time to use Emergency Contraception (Plan B), which can be obtained without a prescription at your local pharmacy for women 17 years of age or older.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you, but the only way to know if you are pregnant or not is to wait a few weeks until your expected "period", and take a home pregnancy test. I assume since you missed 3 pills in-a-row, that you threw out your old birth control pack (per the instructions), and started a new one on Sunday (your start date)?