Missed Period?

By January 16, 2016 - 6:36pm

I'm having some concerns over a missed period. First off, I am on birth control and have been on it for over a year. I have not switched prescriptions. This month, I missed a few pills and had to double up (I believe on two separate occasions). I don't remember which weeks but I think one was between weeks 2/3. I have been sexually active during week two, and during my placebo pills week. I have always used a condom when having intercourse, as well, just in case.

I started my placebo pills week on Tuesday, and it is currently Saturday night, and no sign of a period. I know I still have until Monday for the week to end, but I generally get it around Thursday, so I am concerned. I've never missed a period before!
I know that pregnancy is unlikely, because I've used backups and I'm on the pill, but I did mess up a bit this month. I just wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on this situation.

Hello and welcome to EmpowHer,
Pregnancy is not the cause for your missed period. I'll explain why and possible causes why you didn't get your period.
First of all, birth control pills prevent ovulation. If there's no egg, there's nothing to fertilize. You need to be off the pill at least 2 weeks in order for ovulation to occur. Using condoms as well, also make pregnancy impossible because there was no sperm in addition to no egg.
On a side note, whenever you miss a pill, do not double up. Simply start where you left off taking one pill at a time.
Since you did double up, and maybe more than once, that is a possible explanation for why your not getting your period. Doubling pills imbalances your hormones and causes your period to be irregular.
So, you are not pregnant, and your period is irregular most likely from hormonal imbalances.
I suggest you keep taking the pill without stopping. If you also miss you next period, you can discuss taking another birth control pill with a different hormonal dosage that may be better for you.