ask: Missed Period, bloating, dizziness, negative tests

I've seen a question similar to mine asked all over the web, but I haven't found much good information. I have an appointment with my ob/gyn on July 28, but I would like to get more insight into my situation before I go. I'm 30 years old and generally healthy (excercise, diet, etc.). I went off the pill a couple of months ago after being on for most of 8 years and had two normal 28-day cycles - no delay in starting, nothing odd. My last period started May 31. Around the third week of June, I started having dizzy spells with twinges of nausea. I had sex with a condom on June 13th (not applied until after intercourse started, but before ejaculation) and unprotected (condom came off) on June 20. On June 28, when I was expecting my period, I instead got about an hour of mild cramping, then nothing. The following day, I had more cramping and some thick, stretchy discharge, but nothing else. Since then, I've had cramps and a backache off and on, EXTREME mood swings with crying (odd for me) and increased nausea/dizziness, especially when I don't eat. I'm also noticeably bloated and have white, completely odorless discharge. No changes in bowel habits. I've gagged a couple of times when brushing my teeth or smelling something strong and have taken to keeping a ginger ale around. I finished treating a yeast infection (7 day treatment) on June 30, but it shows some faint signs of returning. I also have to tell you that my boyfriend and I just bought a house and are moving - so there's definitely some stress in my life. I've take four home pregnancy tests (the sensitive ones) and all are negative. What's throwing me is that these "period like" symptoms have now been going on for more than a week with no sign of slacking off - including the irritability and the bloating. I've stopped even expecting bleeding. This is definitely hormonal - but why?

Anonymous

I know these are old posts but I thought I would share my experience for anyone else going through this same situation. My periods were pretty regular but when Mother Nature didn't show her face I started to get a little worried. I took my first test when I was a week late and it came back negative. Symptoms continued to increase including a pulling sensation down there, cramps,backache, headache and restless nights. After two weeks I took another test and still negative. I contacted my doctor who ordered a urine sample and for a swab to be done which both came back negative. The next stage was blood test. By day 18 I was losing my mind and certain I was either pregnant or something was very wrong. Later that night I woke up with a raging headache and bad cramps, low and behold my period had finally arrived. I still don't really know what happened but I was definitely not pregnant even though my body was giving off all the symptoms. It's not a nice situation to be in because you're confused and dont really get any answers. I noticed a lot of people asking questions but no one really giving conclusions so thought I would let you know my outcome for anyone that's in a similar situation.

I am relieved to read this. I am going through the same thing. I have taken 3 pregnancy tests and all were negative. I havent had a period in 40 days, although my work just switched to overnight shift. So I am hoping that is all it is! I have no symptoms of pregnancy other than a missed period. Cramps that feel like menstrual cramps... but no blood.

Anonymous

Idk i am going through simular symtoms with a simular history.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

hannahc7891 - Glad you went ahead and got treatment at the urgent care clinic, and thanks so much for sharing your results. It's great they were able to figure out what was going on and provide you some peace of mind. You're exactly right about our hormones seeming to have a mind of their own and doing exactly what they want to do, regardless of what we want. :-)

hannahc7891

Thought I would post the results of a doctor visit in case it could help someone else out there suffering from the same confusion. I decided not to wait for my GYN appointment and go to the urgent care clinic instead. They did a blood pregnancy test (negative) and a pelvic exam (including swabs for bacterial vaginosis and STD's). The result was positive for BV (explains the excess white discharge and mild itching). The doctor ruled out pelvic inflammatory disease based on the exam. What I'm left with is some excess anaerobic bacteria (probably due to moving stress) and crazy hormones due to discontinuing birth control. Hormones, as most of us have learned the hard way at some time or other, do exactly as they please. I've had more cramping the last day or so, but still no period . . . the waiting game continues. I suppose impatient and irritated beats scared witless :)

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

hannahc7891 - Two cycles isn't unusual, but your other symptoms are - the nausea, dizziness, bloating are concerning. Be sure to write down all of your symptoms when you see the doctor and be sure that you get a thorough exam including lab work to check your blood chemistry and hormone levels. I don't want to alarm you, but these could indicate some type of underlying problem and it's best to get thoroughly checked out. You could also have a blood test done for pregnancy while there as they are more accurate than the home tests. Most likely this can be easily resolved (I certainly hope so!) but advocating for yourself and getting thoroughly checked out is always the best route.

hannahc7891 (reply to Pat Elliott)

Thanks!

hannahc7891

I will definitely post the results. Is it normal, though, to have two normal cycles, followed by something like this?

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Anon - During the eight years you were on birth control pills they created a stable, balanced hormone system within your today by regulating the production of progesterone and estrogen. When women stop taking the pill it can sometimes take the body several months to self-adjust and get into a "regular" hormonal schedule. Your OB-GYN will be able to give you more information about this, and ways to make the adjustment go more smoothly, during your appointment. Will you let us know how it goes? Good luck!

Do you support the idea of a single woman using In Vitro Fertilization to have a baby?: