Missed a pill but didn't make it up?

Just out of curiosity and to figure out a conclusion to this conversation my friends were having...

Say you missed a pill on the last week of your pills before you on placebos, but you didn't make it up by taking it the next day and etc.... How long before you are okay again? If you are about to start a new pack of birth control, does it matter??

Will missing one pill miss your week or your month up?

Bottom line - it always matters if a woman misses her pill and doesn't make it up. Even thought there are 'safer times' to miss a pill and not make it up, the risk of pregnancy has been raised.

I hope this helps and don't forget to take your pill! Program the alarm on your cell phone to go off at the same day so you won't forget!

I agree. (and I meant to say "mess up your week/month" in the last line of my post...haha)

But say it was a pill missed during the week before the placebo pills...if you continue to take your pills perfectly (and then start a new pack and while using backup protection), how long until you are 99% protected again and that missed pill doesn't matter?

(reply to Anonymous)

Most of the information for birth control pills on drugs.com suggests using backup protection for 7 days after missed pill(s). So in the case of the week before the placebo pills, I think the answer would be:
1. If you start your "period" as normal during the placebo pill week, then you know you are fine, and
2. You are protected again at the 97%-99% level after the first seven days of active pills.

Does that make sense? Because what you're trying to do is prevent ovulation. The period would signal that no pregnancy occurred during the missed pill. The active pills would then continue your protection into the new cycle, making sure you don't ovulate then.