Missed pills

I have been on birth control pills for almost 4 years (started after I had my son). I have never been very consistent with taking my pills. My problem is I missed 3 pills during the firt week and made up for only one day ex:
thurs-took 2 pills
fri and on took one a day
During week 3 I missed one but took 2 the next day. I staopped taking the active pills 2 days ago because I was at the end of my pack. I have not started yet and I am wondering if I should take a test or just wait a few more days. Thanks

Thank you for your question and welcome!

I think taking a test now should give you an answer although if you are only two days into your non-active pills, your period come come along today or tomorrow. But taking a test will let you know, either way.

If you have been consistently inconsistent with taking your pills for the last four years, it's probably time to reconsider your birth control options. An IUD will ensure no forgetting or a birth control shot. Condoms are also quite effective in preventing pregnancy, when used correctly.

Will you update us when you take a test or get your period? I look forward to hearing more from you!

So it is day 5 and nothing. Last night I took a hpt and it was negative. Yesturday I had some brown spotting but then nothing else. Could there be something else wrong?? I have not taken any pills since Wed, thanks for the help and advice.