Missed pills, possibility of pregnancy

By January 28, 2010 - 2:04pm

A few days ago a friend of mine asked me if I was pregnant because she had noticed my sensitivity to smells and tastes (everything was making me sick to my stomach and making me gag) I laughed it off and said no way... Then I started thinking about how I have been feeling the last few days and remembered I missed a bc pill.

I am on 28 day birth control pills Ogestrel 28. My start day is Monday. Saturday on the first week of the pack my fiance and I had unprotected sex, I then missed my monday, and tuesday pills (I usually take them between 6-7 pm) Wed night late around 11 pm I realized i missed all 3 and took my tues, and wed pills. I never took the monday pill I just continued on from there. I missed another pill at the begining of this week.

My question is, how likely is it that i could be pregnant? And if I am would I be having all of these symptoms this early? Nausea, breast tenderness, mild cramping, low back pain, bloating, fatigue etc...

Hi TexasD03

Even though you're on birth control, you raise the risk of ovulation (thus pregnancy) by missing pills. Missing them in weeks 2 and 3 is the highest risk time but anytime is risky. Since you missed several pills in week 2 (and did not make up all of them) and missed another in week 3 (you didn't mention if you made it up or not) then the possibility is there, especially when you had sex with no back up like condoms.

Sensitivity to food and smells, as well as breast tenderness, bloating and back pain are signs of pregnancy but they are also a sign of PMS. In other words, all the signs are pointing both to pregnancy and getting your period. Tough, eh?

In the meantime, keep taking your birth control pills (and keep condoms handy if you forget your pills again) and wait things out. You can take an EPT up to 5 days before your withdrawal bleeding (period) is due so take a test if you feel you can't wait for your due date.

Will you update us when you know more?

Thank you so much for your reply. About the 3rd week. No I didnt make up the pill. It was the same situation as the last one I realized 3 days in and only took 2. I hope it is just pms (cross my fingers) but I never have pms symptoms until about 2-3 days before I start my period. I will take a test if my period doesnt start. Thank you for your help!