Missed Two Mini Pills in a Row

In mid December I ran out of refills on the Mini Pill, I missed two in a row. When I got a refill I proceeded to take them normally. I never doubled up. Then at the end of that month I got my normal period. Then when my period was due for the month after that (usually around the 27th), I bled for about three days on and off and then a couple days after there was more blood. It was really irregular. The next month (February) I didn't get my period but I figured it might be late and come beginning of March since after all Feb. is a shorter month. My bf and I are sexually active but I believe we used protection the month of Dec. My periods are never usually irregular, I started birth control in Septemeber. Is this because of the pills I missed?

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for reaching out to us with your concern.

For the benefit of all our readers, the minipill, also known as the progestin-only birth control pill, is an oral contraceptive that contains the hormone progestin.

It's estimated that as many as 13 out of 100 women who use the minipill will get pregnant in a year of use. The failure rate of the minipill is thought to be higher than that of other hormonal contraceptive methods.

Irregular menstrual bleeding is one side effect of the minipill.

Anonymous, give your gynecologist's office a call and share what has been going on with your periods since mid-December.