Muscle Atrophy

By Anonymous December 13, 2010 - 11:44am

I quit working out and loss my muscle now I am all squishy. Can I get it back and what is a good diet for it? I want to lose 20 as well

When you say "muscle atrophy" do you actually mean the wasting of human muscle (often due to disease) or do you mean you just got soft from not working out? Muscle atrophy can be a very serious condition, whereas getting "soft" is self-inflicted due to lack of working out!

I'm going to assume you made a mistake by saying you have muscle atrophy from a medical standpoint (if not let me know and we can take a different course!) and go with the general "soft".

Taking back up exercise can get you back on track again - just do what you used to, whether it was cardio or weights or a combination. Swimming is great. Programs like Yoga or Pilates can also help. Start off with simple walking if you feel like you need to begin slowly.

In terms of losing weight, again, go back to what you used to eat which was probably more healthy!

Eat lean protein, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, plenty of water and stay away from as many processed foods as you can.

There are no miracle cures. A diet that's healthy and fresh, as well as regular exercise should help you. You may also need to reduce your calories but a healthy diet may do this naturally, anyway. Just make sure you use more calories than you eat.

For more information and education, reading just about everything from certified personal trainer Mark Dilworth, his articles are really fantastic : http://www.empowher.com/users/mark-dilworth

Best of luck to you, you can do this!

Fitness Guide