my belly hasn't reduced after my c-section about 3 months ago??

By September 8, 2010 - 9:43am

i had my c section (under GA) about 3 months back but my belly has not reduced to normal, also i had severe problem of flatulence and constipation (i had a surgery for anal fissure just before my pregnancy and my problem was solved) after it. now i m not facing the constipation and gas thingy but my belly is not reduced, also it has ugly marks and discoloration that are reduced but not completely, plus my navel is still leveled not depressed?? also i got operated for breast abcess (under GA) soon after ma c section (within 40 days).. worried for my appearance..

Hi Beryl,
Thank you for your question and for being a part of the EmpowHER community. Susan is right, and it sure does sound like you have been through a lot since delivering your baby. How is the baby? Congrats!!
I can tell you from my personal experience that even without the additional surgeries, it takes some time to get your belly back to where it was before you got pregnant. I'm not sure where I heard it from, but I was told to consider that it took 9 months for your belly to get big, so it may take up to 9 months or more for it to get back to where it was before pregnancy. If your doctor has told you that your uterus is back to normal shape, and you have been cleared to begin exercising, you can start out with walking (baby in stroller to perform double duty, perhaps?), and doing light weight lifting, etc. Talk with your doctor about suggested ways to get back into shape that will work for you and your personal situation and health.
In my own situation, i got back to my pre-baby weight pretty quickly following both my c-sections, but still was most comfortable in maternity clothes because my belly was nowhere near back to pre-baby shape. You can get there though with some patience, and diligence. Here's an article about the topic:
Here are other articles that may be of interest:
If you have additional questions, please let us know. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Hi Beryl

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your new baby!

I also had my kids by c-section - I had c-sections three years in a row. My first saw me back in regular clothing within 3 weeks but I then gained weight due to breastfeeding (my metabolism slowed down, which is normal for breastfeeding women.)

After my third c-section, I was still in maternity clothes three months later and still looked like I was about 4 months pregnant. My belly simply wouldn't go down and I was not over-eating.

When I had an emergency appendectomy, my stomach took about 5 weeks to go down.

This is fairly normal in many women, especially after a c-section. Certain muscles may be cut through and there is often a scar indentation and a poof of flesh from underneath, although this isn't always the case.

The marks and discoloration are likely to be stretch marks and pregnancy blotches - these will fade in time, sometimes completely but you may still see some marks. No special creams will 'cure' anything, just keep your belly area well moisturized.

Give yourself some time to heal but it's also a good time to start exercising again. Your best bet for now is to start walking. Taking a brisk walk everyday will really help knock some belly fat off - start slowly if you're not used to the exercise and work up to a 45-1 hour walk several times a week. If you enjoy swimming or any kind of cardio workouts, these can also help.

Don't be too hard on yourself - it takes time. I am back to my wedding weight but it took two years after my third child was born, due to breastfeeding and just being unable to work out due to the mayhem of having 3 babies all a year apart!

So watch what you eat, start that power walking or other cardio exercise of your choice, and you WILL see your tummy begin to flatten out!

Let me know how your progress goes! I have been where you are, several times and with a little work and lots of healthy foods - you can return to your pre-baby body!

Here is another option that can include your new baby!

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines