Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: My boyfriend accidentally ejaculated before I had time to catch it with something and it "sprayed" all over the place. Some spots landed on my jeans. Could it get me pregnant?

We were NOT dry humping or "grinding" or anything of the sort. It is just a case of semen getting on my jeans. I was sitting in the floor in front of him and he was sitting on the couch and I was manually stimulating him. I was fully dressed with a shirt, jeans, and underwear, but he was not dressed. The closest spot that was near my vagina was on my inner thigh about 4 inches below my crotch and a spot was on my zipper. I immediately took my jeans off, washed my hands, and ran my hands over my legs and crotch area to check for wet spots and couldn't find any. Are you generally safe doing sexual activity as long as one person keeps their clothes on (assuming you are not rubbing genitals together)?

You cannot get pregnant this way. For more information please read our sex ed article on this topic here: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/outercourse-dry-humping-dry-sex-...

Thanks for writing!
~Susan

Thank you for your reply. Can you think of any reason why some people say you can? Also, can I assume I am safe from pregnancy as long as either I or my partner is fully clothed? (not talking about dry humping, just in general)

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon, if we collected all the wrong information about sex, we'd have ourselves a huge collection!

Sex information is full of misconceptions, like many other topics. It's up to the individual to read good books on the topic and educate themselves. You can do a search online if you'd like to buy some books - make sure the author is a qualified person and also check professional and reader reviews.

Another reason there is so much misinformation was because it was done to stop women from having sex outside of marriage. Therefore they were told they could be pregnant by "dry sex" or by sitting on a man's lap and all sorts of things. It has taken a long time for women to accept and believe that all this ridiculous information is untrue because it was drilled into us for so long.

Also, and honestly - people are lazy and too lazy to inform themselves. Libraries are free, all it takes is a bus ride or a walk to go to one and open ourselves up to a world of endless knowledge and information. But instead, we read all sorts of stuff on the Net instead of making a real effort to learn about the body.

Also, a lot of it comes down to common sense. Think about it - a drop of sperm lands on your jeans by your thigh. How could it swim through jeans, up the rest of the leg, through underwear and up inside a vagina. Seems impossible, right? That's because it usually is!

For more, click here: http://www.empowher.com/sex-amp-relationships/content/misconceptions-sex

~Susan

You are so helpful and so right! I have developed quite a pregnancy phobia over the past couple of years. A lot of it came from people saying "highly unlikely" "somewhat possible" and so forth. I have not even had actual intercourse in several years and I worry myself sick over what little intimacy that I do have. I do find it hard to accept it when people tell me that I am worrying over nothing, but I know that I am not the only one who does this. I went years having manual and oral sex and never worried about this whatsoever, and have been with the same person for 7 years who I completely trust. It never crossed my mind that pregnancy could happen any other way than intercourse (or ejaculation right on the vagina) but then I started to read statements from people saying that it can. I haven't been able to erase that nagging worry ever since. Maybe it is just me, but it seems to be the case that there has been a rapid increase in women (and sometimes men) asking the same kinds of questions in the past few years. What used to seem like harmless foreplay now seems like a pregnancy sentence:( Thanks again!

How do you control your PMS?: