My boyfriend avoids sex

I've been seeing this guy for 8 months and we recently got very serious with the relationship (he said 'i love you' for the first time this month) however, our sex has been very sparse. Since we had sex for the first time 4 months ago, I can count on my hands the number of times we've had intercourse. When we do have sex, sometimes it's great, but most times he can only keep the erection for a few minutes and recently he's been avoiding doing anything..despite my attempts at initiating. He is very affectionate with me throughout the day, holds my hand, kisses me, says I love you, and he gets an erection very easily but when it actually comes down to having sex, he either avoids it or loses the erection. I don't know what to do because I love him and can see myself marrying this man but sex is such a big part of a relationship..I'm not sure I can just ignore this problem.

Welcome to EmpowHER.  It's important to have an open communication with your boyfriend.  Let him know how you feel about him and what is interfering with your relationship.  He might have a problem he feels embarrassed to discuss with you or he might not know how to treat his problem.  Maybe with the help of his physician or a counselor he can find the right treatment.