my breast are tender and have grown considerably...my doctor had a mammogram done last friday. im still waiting on the results.. are these signs of breast cancer?

it does run in my family my mom is a two time survivor...

General signs of breast cancer would include:

When breast cancer first develops, there may be no symptoms at all. But as the cancer grows, it can cause the following changes:

A lump or thickening in or near the breast or in the underarm area or in the neck
A change in the size or shape of the breast
Nipple discharge or tenderness, or the nipple pulled back (inverted) into the breast
Ridges or pitting of the breast skin (like the skin of an orange)
A change in the way the skin of the breast, areola, or nipple looks or feels (for example, warm, swollen, red, or scaly)

Note: These symptoms may also be caused by other, less serious health conditions. Anyone experiencing these should see a doctor.

You can read a lot more on our Breast Cancer page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/breast-cancer

Are BOTH breasts tender and have both grown considerably? If so, this may have nothing to do with breast cancer (although this is just a possibility, as that's all we can really offer). Have these changes become permanent or do they change throughout the month? Have you found any lumps?

I think it's a good idea to have gotten the mammogram - how old are you?

I hope to hear back from you!

yes they are both tender and both have grown considerably.. it is permanent. there are a few lumps. i am 43 years old. i called my doctors office yesterday they still havent gotten the x-rays. i dont think someone should have to wait this long for results. i doubt i will hear anything til next week.

Thanks for your update!

Any lumps absolutely have to be checked out. Mammogram results usually take about two weeks to arrive - news sometimes comes sooner if there is something suspicious found. Please let us know when your results arrive and I'm sorry you have to wait, it's awful waiting for days to go by when waiting like this-

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide