my breast get swollen and hurt

By October 3, 2011 - 6:25am

My breast never was tender before my period. The only time my breast was tender was when I started growing breast about eight or nine years old, or after birth. .. I am 50, soon to me 51 in January.. I have had my peroids regular every 28 days since I was 13, unless I was pregnant.. I quit smoking almost a year, I quit the first time for 11 years. I have put on 15 lbs..

Thank you,

HERWriter Guide (reply to mbbb13)

Hi Vanessa

Thanks for your update!

Congrats on quitting smoking, I know how hard and awful that is - well done! The weight gain of 15 pounds isn't great but pretty much everyone will say it's better than smoking and can be lost with some changes in your diet and exercise routines. Are you eating well and exercising?

With regard to your breast tenderness, both tenderness and swelling can be signs of menopause. Even if your periods are still regular, you might want to have a hormone check up to see if this is why your breasts are swelling and causing pain. Since the average age of menopause is 52, you are in that age range now.

For more on this, click here: http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/breast-tenderness-during-menopause.htm

For ways to naturally help with this, click here: http://www.empowher.com/menopause/content/10-tips-treating-menopause-naturally

But since we cannot diagnose - only suggest and guide - you will need to see a health care provider.

I hope this helps and thank you for writing!

You did not give any information other than your breasts feel swollen and hurt.

If you are expecting your period, then this is generally a sign of PMS, meaning your period will arrive about a week after your breast pain starts. It's a normal and rather uncomfortable part of the menstrual cycle. Is this what is happening? Are you expecting your period soon?

If not, and this pain continues, you need to place a call to your doctor and be seen.

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide