My child has been touching private organs

Hi good day Maam

My 12 year old child has been touching my husband's genitals twice when they were asleep and I am not with them. According my husband the first time it happened he thought that our child accidentally placed his hand over my husband's genitals though he was wearing shorts. The second time was last night. My husband was lying sideways with pillow in between his legs. Then he felt our child slowly inserting his hand into his shorts. But because of the pillow our child must have felt resistance so he slowly withdraw his hand. But it didn't end there. After withdrawing, my child placed his hand at the back part where my husband's scrotum was located and he held it. I dont know how my husband got away with it. But after that incident he immediately went to me and told me everything that happened.

We didn't felt disgust towards our son but we pity him and we are really afraid what will happen to him in the future. Im really afraid for my two boys. Please help us. We dont know what to do. Is our son sick or what?
Thanks we really look forward for your response.
Thank you

Thank you for reaching out to EmpowHER with your concerns.

I think it's important to talk to your son privately (without your husband around) to get his side of the story. Be gentle and supportive.

You son should not be sharing a sleeping space ever with your husband. Make sure this does not happen again.

You also need to really think about this story that your husband told you. For a child to sexually molest his own father out of the blue does not make sense.
Be very careful not to call your son sick or feel pity for him quite yet. There may be more to the story. And again, keep your child away from your husband until you know more.

You also wrote "I don't know how my husband got away with it. But after that incident he immediately went to me and told me everything that happened. " What do you mean by that? The fact that your husband told you these stories straight away seems to me he is afraid his son will tell you the truth and wants to get the story to you first. In other words, it may be your husband who is molesting your son and not the other way around. My instinct is that your son threatened to tell you and your husband got to you with his story first.

If it turns out your husband is telling the truth, your son needs full time (and immediate) counseling.

Parenting Guide