My dad is a long term paraplegic and it seems that "regular" doctors don't know what to do with him anymore when issues arise.

By January 24, 2012 - 9:27am

My dad has been a paraplegic for over 35 years and his bowels are kind of shutting down. He does not use a colostomy bag. He is almost constantly in pain. He has an eight inch metal rod in his back where the spinal cord was severed and the doctors call is "phantom pain" comparable to that of an amputee. My dad NEVER complains, so for him to say something, I know it's not phantom pain. I desperately want to find someone who understands his unique case. He has been in a wheelchair for longer than he walked and it really appears as though doctors have run out of ideas or treatment options. They continually say that they didn't think he would live longer than ten years after his initial accident. Please help!

Thank you for your help. The nearest hospitals are not any better than family doctors. (They live in rural Ohio) perhaps it's time to branch out.
Again, thank you. I will check out the support group as well.

Hi Para's Daughter

Thanks for your question and for looking out for your Dad!

Because his needs are changing, he may need to go into a pain management program - either one that specializes in paraplegia or has experience with it. We had a similar question a while back that you can take a look at here as it has some helpful information:

His "regular" doctor won't be of much help to him if they don't have the training that your Dad needs them to have. This is why a specialized pain management clinic could help.

Ask your doctor for a referral; he may be send to his hosptial - most hospitals have these kinds of programs as well as spine centers. See if there is a spine center that his doctor can refer him to. It looks like from now on, he will need (and deserves) specialized care. No-one should have to live with this kind of pain.

You can also join a website that provides support for both patient and familiy members as well as lots of advice and stories from others.

Support Group: http://www.apparelyzed.com/

I hope  this information helps and let us know if we can help you further.

The best to you and your Dad,

Paraplegia Guide