My doctor told me I have a 1 degree curve on my back. I am a 12 years old male and I am really scared about if it will progress

By Anonymous February 18, 2015 - 8:20am

Did your doctor tell you that you have scoliosis?

Scoliosis is a sideways curvature of the spine that occurs most often during the growth spurt just before puberty.In scoliosis, the spine becomes abnormally curved from side to side into an "S" shape.

The Cobb angle is a measure of the curvature of the spine in degrees. The number of degrees helps the doctor decide what type of treatment is necessary. A scoliosis curve of 10 to 15 degrees usually means that nothing needs to be done except for regular checkups until pubertal maturation and growth are complete. The curvature of the spine usually doesn't get worse after that point.

Anonymous, you and your parents need to talk with physician about the prognosis.

Scoliosis Guide