My father has major heart attack on sept. 24 ,then cardiac arrest

By Anonymous December 2, 2014 - 12:48am

It's been more than 2 months my father is at the hospital.he suffered from anoxic brain injury.,he is 65. Is there any treatment

Decision about long term care , decision about experimental treatment . Doctor wants to know about family wishes. Which ever direction we go

These are momentous decisions to make. Take your time even though doctors want to know soon. Since this happened in Sept., what have your discussed with your family? You need to talk about financial concerns, dividing care between family members, long term plans etc. Look into options for long term care. Your doctor is the one who should be informing you of treatment options  Ask for a proper, sit-down meeting with him or her to discuss this. I know this can all be very overwhelming.  Hospitals have patient avocates - please request one. 

Hello Susan , my father condition has not improved much. He is not conscious . He is on sleep and wake cycles. He cough and yawn . He is on tube feeding. He can feel the touch. He is responsive to pain.he cannot talk or communicate.i am really worried. I don't know if he will be able to recognize me . I have to make a decision ,what should I do.

What do you mean you have a decision to make - what is the decision?

Hello Susan ,thanks for post.what do you think about stem cell therapy for anoxia. I am looking into that

I'm all for stem cell anything! 

Stem cell infusions for patients with anoxic brain injuries is still in it's infancy, in the whole scheme of things. I have read that younger people have the best chance of it working (really young, like under 5) and some kids are lucky enjoy that their parents banked their cells at birth. 

Since your Dad didn't have this option, it's a tougher road but I would definitely look into his options. 

I look up clinical trials for you to see if any hospital was recruiting and three are but they are in Seoul, Korea and two in France, and your Dad would fit the criteria. I know it's probably not an option but here is the link anyway: (some studies will use stem cells)

Please keep in touch with us and thanks for being such a great advocate for your father. 

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry about your father's ill-health due to a heart attack. 

Treatment of anoxic brain damage depends on the cause. Initially, barbiturates may be used to slow down brain activity. Steroids and other medications may be used to reduce the swelling that accompanies injured brain tissue. This may help limit the amount of damage to the brain. The doctor will also increase the amount of oxygen reaching the brain. Efforts to cool the brain may also be used to help limit brain damage. In addition, hyperbaric oxygen treatment may be used in cases of anoxia due to carbon monoxide poising.

During rehabilitation, you and your family will work with:

• Physical therapist—helps retrain motor skills, such as walking
  • Occupational therapist—works on improving daily skills, such as dressing and going to the bathroom
  • Speech therapist—works on language problems
  • Neuropsychologist—counsels on behavior and emotional issues related to the injury

Recovery can take months, or even years. In many cases, full recovery is never achieved. In general, the sooner rehabilitation starts, the better the outcome.

Your doctor may have you take the following medications:

• Anti-epileptic medications—to treat ongoing seizures
  • Clonazepam(eg, Klonopin)—to treat muscle jerks

Anon, what treatment is your father undergoing at the moment?

Anoxic Brain Injury