my financ'e has a hernia in his groin and I want to know is having sex harmful and painful for him

By Anonymous February 7, 2011 - 1:07pm

hi im mildren and i have hernia. i want to know the hernia is effect in my sexuality? im waiting for your answer!

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello Midren,

Where is the hernia? How big is it?

A hernia occurs when an organ pushes through an opening in the muscle or tissue that holds it in place. Hernias are most common in the abdomen, but they can also appear in the upper thigh, belly button, and groin areas.

Have you seen a doctor about this? A hernia will not affect your sexuality, but depending on location and size, you may have some discomfort or pain during intercourse.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I will already surgery in 5months ago but I want to know is the hernia can produce a baby?
Please answer my question.
I'm waiting for the answer.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello again,

A hernia does not affect your fertility or ability to become pregnant.

Your obstetrician will monitor you during your pregnancy and keep a close eye that another hernia does not develop.

Thank you Maryann I'm very happy now that you said that.
Once again thank you so much.

Let's talk a little about hernias - there are two kinds:

■Inguinal hernia—occurs when there is a weak spot in the area where the abdomen meets the thigh on both sides (most common type)
■Femoral hernia—occurs less frequently, located in the upper thigh

Which does he have?

In terms of treatment:
Most inguinal hernias require surgery. If it is a small hernia that can be pushed back into place, an external pad (called a truss) may be worn to provide support. Surgery is usually still needed at some point.

After surgery , hernias sometimes return, either on the same side or the opposite side. Hernia repair can cause pain and disrupt your quality of life, but these complications are rare.

Surgeries include:

■Herniorrhaphy —to repair the defect in the abdominal wall
■Hernioplasty—to reinforce the weak area with steel mesh or wire
■Bowel resection —to remove a section of the intestine, may be used when part of the intestine becomes twisted or blocked or turns gangrenous and dies
■Laparoscopic hernia repair—done through several tiny incisions in the groin or abdomen, recovery may be faster

Lots more can be read here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/groin-hernia

He needs to ask his doctor if having sex (for his particular case) could be harmful - we cannot answer that. As to whether sex might be painful - it could be. But he would be the one to tell you that as he'll figure out pretty quickly how much his hernia affects his sex life. Hernias can be serious, so a call to his doctor about these questions is a good idea.

I hope this helps and our best to both of you-

Groin Strain