My grandfather has prostate cancer, alzeimers, and now a blood clot in his brain

By October 21, 2011 - 12:35pm

My grandfather has prostate cancer, alzeimers, and now a blood clot in his brain. I am very close to him. He is the reason I am studying to become a Veterinarean (I grew up with him, and he had an animal sanctuary & I always would help him). Now he is very ill. He is in his 70s. My father flew out to Puerto Rico (we are puerto rico) to see him a couple of days ago, but no one told me he was in the hospital until yesterday. No body seems to want to share the details with me, and it is driving me crazy. My dad told me the doctors don't want him to fall asleep, but I don't understand why. Why is that?

Also, he refuses treatment for his prostate cancer that he has had for 2 years?
I am scared that I will lose him.
Why won't they let him sleep? & is he near death?
He still remembers me, but has trouble remember other people and things. Is the blood clot related to the alzeimers?

Hi Sysy

Unfortunately, we can't answer these questions about your grandfather's health, we can only speculate. We cannot say if he is dying or not.

Regarding his prostate cancer, it's up to him to get treatment. Men can and do refuse it, especially later in life. They sometimes feel the treatments aren't worth the possible cure.

A person has to sleep - they simply cannot function without sleep so your grandfather is likely sleeping at night but doctors may want him up and about and active during the day for treatments and for ADLs- activities of daily living. This is important for older and infirm people because it gives them a purpose to live and keeps hygiene up and can help to guard against depression.

Blood clots to the brain have many causes but the most common is an accident. Perhaps your grandfather had a fall? Blot clots are not connected to Alzheimer's in the sense that one would cause the other but blood clots in the brain can lead to confusion that, added to his Alzheimer's, makes his condition worse.

I'm not sure why your family are not discussing his situation with you but they (and your grandfather's doctors/nurses) would be the best people to ask, as all we can do is give educated guesses on what's going on.

I hope the information above helps you somewhat, and that you find proper answers soon - the only way for that to happen is to ask. If people will not give you answers, you may need to go to Puerto Rico yourself to find out.

I wish your grandfather the best,

My dad also said he had a brain anuerysm and that he is severely underweight.

Prostate Cancer