Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: My hair is breaking off after having my hair colored, what can I do?

By Shana O'Connor

I had my hair colored and it's breaking off everywhere! Why is this happening, what do I do?? I have conditioners and treatments, nothing seems to be working.

Hi Shana

Colored hair gets damaged due to the chemicals used that can dry the hair, turn it brassy and generally weaken the hair structure. 

One thing to do is stop dying your hair. Would you do that? If not, think about using natural dyes like henna that won't dry out your hair like chemical dyes will. Henna can make your hair look great and there are different colors to choose from! I used henna years ago and had no damage at all. 

You can ask for a natural dye product at salons or do it from home. There are several to choose from including Moroccan Method Henna and Rainbow Henna. 

Continue with oils (coconut is great!) for healthy hair and simply rid yourself of these harsh salon dyes. Some hair can take these dyes but most will have these drying side effects that usually include breakage. 

Read all about hair dyes here:

http://www.empowher.com/hair-products/content/hair-dyes-different-types-...

Let us know if you use a natural product and how it worked! 

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: