ask: My menstrual Cycle has been cut short from 7-8 days to 4, WHY?

What would make my cycle lighter and last shorter days? I am not on birth control, but my menstrual cycles seem to be getting lighter and lasting shorter periods. My cycles use to last 7-8 days, but this month and last they have been cut short. Looks like I stopped 3 days into the cycle last month and then started back the next day. And this month. I started a little earlier, instead of going 28 days with no period, I went 26 days. I was heavy the first two days and after that my cycle was sooo light that I began using the very thin padding. By the fourth or fifth day I had no cycle. What would be causing my menstrual cycle to be cut short? I know this time, when I stopped flowing early I felt as if I was going to start on my cycle which was weird because in actuality I should have still been on my cycle. I'm worried. Does anyone have any suggestions about what may be going on with me and why? Has anyone experience what I'm going through? Could I be pregnant? I took a EPT pregnancy test right after my cycle stopped and it tested negative. I don't feel pregnant, but I surely stay sleepy alot. I could sleep all day if I had the time to. I have heard that you can be pregnant when you are on your cycle. I have never had wrong pregnancy test results. I have also been a little nauseous, but usually at night and not so much morning.

Anonymous

I am 12 and this is day 7 and it has no sign of stopping and I am going away tomorrow and I want it to stop but it won't. Plz plz can someone help me

Anonymous

I started my period four years ago. Ever since I started it has been consistent of five days once a month. The past two periods I've had have only lasted about three days at most. What could be causing this?

Anonymous

My first period came when i was 12. At then my period lasted about 7~8 days and its was moderately heavy with a few times being very heavy. And then after about a year when i was 13, the length of my period shortened till it was about 5~7 days being moderately heavy as well. Sometimes it will only come about after 2 months. I didnt think much then. Then the length of my period gradually shortens over the years and the flow generally decreased. At the age of 15 now, my period last only 2 days and only the first day it would be moderately heavy. Also every time when my period is coming to an end, i would bled out a rather big piece of blood clot. Generally not much pms other than severe bloating and depression. Anybody can tell me why is this happening?

savannahsj

I have for the past 3_4 weeks been having bad headaches and felt nausea. It would only happen during at night. During my last period_i barely bleed. Just the first day of my cycle. The second day of my 7day cycle I wasn't bleeding that much cause it bcame very light.3rd day during my period it went away completly and then the next morning it was just spotting. 4th day was just spotting again 5th and 6th day period was done. It was suppose to last for 7days. On the 7th day however I started getting my period cramps even though my period had finished. I never use any contraseptive. I did this year for the first time. But I haven't used any contraseptive tablets for the past 4months so I don't knw what this is or what it means. Anyone perhaps knows? I want to take a pregnancy test but again I don't feel like I'm pregnant at all. Any advice?

Anonymous

Hi my period came last month but it only last 4-5 days and its always 6-7 days so back in august I had a miscarage so could u be pregnant again

Anonymous

Sounds like my story is pretty similar to these. I'm 26 years old. For the last seven years or so my period always starts 20 days after the previous one ends, lasts 5 days, and tends to be super heavy except for the last day or two when it slows down and stops. This month and last month, my period has been exactly on time, but much much lighter, and this month it is ending after 3 days instead of 5. I used to be paranoid about early menopause because from age 11 to 19 I had super heavy periods for 8 days at only 14 days apart, so I had twice as many periods as I should have in those years. Are these lighter periods most likely just another new normal or should I be worried? I suppose pregnancy is also a small possibility, but I've had no particular reason to believe I am aside from lighter bleeding.

misvives HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anonymous,

Have you been to a doctor regarding your irregularity? Women are all different and our periods are never the same, some days light - heavy, sometimes cramps while other times - we have no idea they even started until we use the bathroom.....this is all pretty common and there is really no rhyme or reason why some months are one way while the next is completely different. I think we get used to a normal cycle, then when that changes - we get concerned something is wrong while the following month goes back to what we think is the norm.

In my life, I tend to get concerned after about 3 months of irregularity and then I will make an appointment with the OBGYN. However, if this irregularity only occurs every once in a while - this may just be the norm.

Can you keep us posted? I still think you may want to get a checkup since your periods are irregular although you may have already been to your doctor about this issue. Has your doctor said anything to you before about your 20 day periods?

Keep us posted,

Missie

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm 19 years old and I'm on birth control for helping me ovulate. It used to start right on the first day I stopped taking the pills and went on the sugar pills but then a few months ago they started later and seemed lighter than usual. I used to have problems with bleeding too much but now it's like I'm barely getting anything. I need help plz!

Anonymous58

I am going through the same thing. I have had an 8 day period for 7 years but a year ago my period went to a 5 day period. This month my period got even shorter. It's now a 4 day period. I am afraid if I do nothing about it I will lose my period completely. I have no other problems other than shorter periods. I know I am not pregnant because I have already had a pregnancy test and this has been going on for a year. I have no health insurance either so I can't go to a doctor and I am afraid it's serious. If anyone has any advice or knows where I should go (ex. what kind of doctor I should go to if I have to) I would really appreciate it.

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: