Q: 

My menstrual Cycle has been cut short from 7-8 days to 4, WHY?

By September 3, 2009 - 5:04pm

What would make my cycle lighter and last shorter days? I am not on birth control, but my menstrual cycles seem to be getting lighter and lasting shorter periods. My cycles use to last 7-8 days, but this month and last they have been cut short. Looks like I stopped 3 days into the cycle last month and then started back the next day. And this month. I started a little earlier, instead of going 28 days with no period, I went 26 days. I was heavy the first two days and after that my cycle was sooo light that I began using the very thin padding. By the fourth or fifth day I had no cycle. What would be causing my menstrual cycle to be cut short? I know this time, when I stopped flowing early I felt as if I was going to start on my cycle which was weird because in actuality I should have still been on my cycle. I'm worried. Does anyone have any suggestions about what may be going on with me and why? Has anyone experience what I'm going through? Could I be pregnant? I took a EPT pregnancy test right after my cycle stopped and it tested negative. I don't feel pregnant, but I surely stay sleepy alot. I could sleep all day if I had the time to. I have heard that you can be pregnant when you are on your cycle. I have never had wrong pregnancy test results. I have also been a little nauseous, but usually at night and not so much morning.

Anonymous

For the past 2 months my period has only lasted 3-4 days. Normally my period lasts 6 or 7 days. I've taken a pregnancy test and it came back negative what could be causing this?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

The menstrual cycle is regulated by a precise balance of hormones. Any upset in that balance will cause irregularities, such as a shorter period or longer menstrual cycle.

How old are you? If you are in your 50s, even late 40s, this may be an early sign of perimenopause. During perimenopause, estrogen levels fluctuate. Changes in the menstrual cycle are an early sign.

Regards,

Anonymous

I've been having shorter periods for the pass five month now along with no signs of blood clots what do that mean and what can b my chances on Having a kid.? I am 28 of age with a nine year old. No other kids and I would like to start to try to have more but not sure I will b able to

Anonymous

i want 2 shorten period from 8 to 3 days....suggestion

Go to your doctor and talk to him/her about it and ask what type or kind of birth control would be best. I've shortened my period that way . Went from 7 days to 3 days.

Anonymous

Hey I'm having the same problem if get any answers please contact me

Anonymous

Hey my first period started at 12. It was an almost 4 day period. It was getting very I mean very less on 5th day as like 1-2 spots like there is no need of pad. But i m very tired with it. I couldn't go for playing too. Can anyone tell me that if it can get shorter then how to do do it last for 2 days. Please it is very very tired or bad for me. Please understand my personal feeling and tell or help me telling that how it can be shorten. PLEASE.....

Anonymous

My period has always been regular until last month. I just turned 35 last month and my period started later in the day then usual. This month it was a day late and so light that all I had to use was a panty liner.
I don't know if this is normal or should I call my doctor and ask questions?

Anonymous

My situation is kinda similar whereas I used to have a 4-6 day period now for the past two months its been like heavy for the first 2 days and light on the 3rd day and then the fourth/fifth day it would be just spotting. Thought I could be pregnant but then I took like 4 different brands of pregnancy test and they all came out as NEGATIVE. I had a regular 4-6 days period on April 2nd- 6th and then in May it came on the 30th and lasted 3 days. The last time I was sexually active was about 2 weeks after my period ended in April. I stopped thinking I was pregnant after I saw my period in May, then it came again on June 1st but just like May it lasted 3 days. Then ive been reading so much online and now I'm really confused because I cant sleep thinking about this. I have no pregnancy symptoms. I just sleep alot which is usual for me because I work 10 hours a day(8am-6pm) and when I get home i'm usually tired so I just go to bed and wake up 6am the next morning. I dont usually feel sleepy during the day. A few days leading to my period I had what I believe is PMS which was back pain /my breast were a little swollen and my body temperature was rather high. I dont feel nauseous, i dont have frequent headaches and all the other early signs of pregnancy. I've read that if your daily routine changes a little then that causes your menstrual cycle to waiver a little. I have started jogging a few weeks before my period came. I dont know if that made a difference. I dont know what to do anymore because all the tests ive taken are negative. Your help would be appreciated!