My mother has changed drastically in two weeks.

By Anonymous February 21, 2012 - 12:30pm

She is depressed and not herself. she is 83 years old and was in excellient health two weeks ago. all of a sudden she wants to sleep away (die) having bad dreams, not sleeping, not eating. Talking about finances like she is in dire straights and is not. It is scaring us. She had a CT scan, MRI and Urine test( urinary tract infection) all test came back fine. they think it might be all in her mind and what her to take behaivoral health (mental) group therapy. I feel in my heart something else is wrong. I am going to get all her meds together and see if there is a problem with the combination.

Yes we will take the list to a pharmacy. I live in another state. So this is really difficult for me. My sister and Dad are dealing with this. I will go there next week. After leaving emergency room, Tuesday night, the doctor wanted her to go to a behavioral health clinic. She hated it and my sister had to get her ready to go, she refused. Didn't seem to do any good, so my dad didn't let her go today. She is eating this morning, which is good, and talking a little. Neurological appointment is next. The Psych doctor gave her a antidepressent to start taking today. It is so hard because she was perfect two weeks ago, just a little forgetfulness that we atributed to her age. This is full blown now. Dosen't even look the same. She did say she had a dream that something dark was tring to smother her. She woke up screaming and my dad had to shake her awake. Not been the same since. She dosen't want to go to sleep. She will sleep a little from sheer exhaustion. This is something else. We are all puzzled and worried.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Patrice Harris)

Hi again Partice

I agree that this is very disturbing. Much of it due the sudden onset of it and the ferociousness of it's progression.

I really hope her next appointments can find a cause for this and a treatment that can strart immediately.

Please keep us updated and we truly hope for the best for your mom and the whole family.

Hi Patrice

Thanks for this extra information!

None of the meds above would appear to cause such a mental breakdown and  they are all for fairly common or age related things - allergies, thyroid, thinning bones.

It may be a case of drug interactions but her pharmacist should recognize this.

Can you bring her to the pharmacy, and ask the pharmacist about this list and ask if there may be counter-indiations? She will have to ask, of course. Do you think she could do this?

I am also wondering is she saw something on TV or experienced something that would trigger such panic? Are you able to ask her this?

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry your mother is in such distress now.

I think it's an excellent idea to gather her medications and see if the combinations are causing this.

There is also the possibility that she is experiencing some sort of dementia or even Alzheimer's that has come on suddenly and strong. She may have a mental illness like paranoia or something else.

If her brain has been tested for tumors and growths via these scans and she is fine - then that's at least some things ruled out.

She could also be deeply depressed (depression is actually, and sadly, quite common in old age) or she may be mixing her pills with alcohol (not uncommon in old age, either) thus causing confusion and paranoia.

Please continue with testing!

Let me know if this helps and if we can help further, we're here- and we wish you and your mother the best.  

Thank you for your reply. My mother does not drink, may an occasional glass of wine for the holidays. Here is a list of her medications. After spending all day yesterday in emergency, having every test possible, they came back with the psych doctor. She will go to a therapy session tomorrow. She is out of sorts still and scared the poor hairdresser to death today. We thought that if she followed routine and get her hair done, she would feel better. She was still talking about finances and how she messed everything up. It's all in her head. But this came on so fast (within two weeks). Here is the list of her meds. Hopefully someone can tell us something. After all the tests came back yesterday, the doctors said there was no sign of dementia, early Alzheimer, or Urinary Tract Infection. I feel like there is something else wrong in addition to the

Triamterne w/HCTZ - 37.5 Mg Daily
Levothyroxine 75 Mg Daily
Alendronate 70 Mg Weekly
Fexofenadine 180 Mg Daily
Diovan 160 Mg Daily
Calcium 1500 Mg Daily
Vit D 800 Mg Daily
Vit C 500 Mg Daily
Aspirin 81 Mg Daily