My Neuro Physician has diagonised my problem as Post traumatic Labyrinthitis

On 1st September 2012, I lost my balance & I fell down at about 7.00pm with my face down. This accident has hurt my face& Jaw. I felt a sudden jerk in my head also. Due to this impact I was feeling pain & I took pain killer medicines. On 3rd Sept at about 4.00am I tried to get up but cld not since I there was a feeling of terrific spinning. In the morning the Doctor who is staying in my Building was called & he diagonised as Benign Positional Vertigo & prescrebed medicines for Vertigo for 5 days.In the meantime I took MRTScan of Brain for my own satisfaction but the can did not indicate any damage. The vertigo medicine prescribed had very little effect & I continue to get the feeling of terrific spinning especially When I try to lie down for sleeping or when I try to getup from bed. All the time I used to feel that I am going to fall down any time. But this is not the case once I get up from the bed or while I am walking or while I am sitting. since I was not getting any cure even after taking these medicines, I was asked by my other Doctor friend to see a Neuro Physician. Accordingly I had visited this Physician to day the 17th Sept who diagonised as Post Traumatic Labyrinthitis & has prescribed various Medicines for 7 days. He has advised me bed rest for atleast 3 weeks.

I want to know what type of disease is this, whether this can be cured by medicines or I have to put up with this throughout my life. Further what kind of precautions I shd take to prevent this attack. Whether are there any specific exercises to prevent attacks. I am 65 year old & I have been doing yogas for the past 25 years to keep myself fit. Can I do Light Yogas during this period. Pl.advise.

Thanks for your post and I'm very sorry about your accident.

Labyrinthitis is an inflammation of a part of the ear called the labyrinth that is located in the ear. In your case, it was caused by trauma to the head, as a result of your accident.

In terms of treatment options:

Treatment may include:

• Antibiotics (only for bacterial infection)
  • Medication to control the symptoms, including:
    • Antiemetics—to control nausea and vomiting
    • Vestibular suppressants—such as meclizine, to help control loss of balance and dizziness
    • Steroids—in limited situations, to help control inflammation
    • Anti-viral medication (eg, Acyclovir)– this may be prescribed by your physician

Note: Without antibiotic treatment, bacterial labyrinthitis can lead to permanent hearing loss or permanent problems with balance.

Self-care Measures

• Rest, lie still with your eyes closed in a darkened room during acute attacks.
  • Avoid movement, especially sudden movement, as much as possible.
  • Avoid reading.
  • Resume normal activities gradually after the symptoms have cleared.

Emergency Treatment

In some cases, nausea and vomiting cannot be controlled. This can result in severe dehydration , which may require hospitalization to receive intravenous fluids.

Rarely, labyrinthitis may be due to a break in the membranes between the middle and inner ear. Surgery to repair the break may be required. If a tumor is causing the condition, surgery may also be needed.

You can read a lot more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/labyrinthitis

I am not a doctor so I can't say if you can do Yoga but there shouldn't be a problem with it - just ask your doctor to make sure.

Labyrinthitis Guide