My period lasts two weeks every month , Help!

By May 14, 2010 - 7:18am

Hi,i am new in this forum and need help please.
I am 34 yrs and have being trying to conceive since 1 year ago.I was diagonised of PCOS Feb this yr, missed my period for 3 months.It came on 4th April very light but lasted till 21st of April(2 weeks)
My husband & i went to see a doctor, had all the blood & urine test done to the check hormones,about 10 tests all fine and normal. This May, my period came again and has lasted for 2 weeks(Light).
We are now worried because i dont take alcohol, married a virgin and dont use contraceptives. I exercise everyday and still weigh 65kg.

Unfortunately,the doctor told us to go and wait for our appointment with the Gyna.
Please,can somebody advise me on what to do to stop my period lasting 2 weeks and how to improve my fertity and get pregnant , before the doctors appointment.

Thanks for that information. Please, update me when it works. Wish you the best.

By the way, here's the site that gives you more information about Femmenessence, http://www.naturalhi.com/products/MacaHarmony.aspx. You may find them at your local health food store. I will get them today and start taking them tomorrow. I will let you know if it helps me.

I am having similar as you are having and I understand what you are going through! I got myself on anti-inflammatory diet for 4 weeks and yesterday was my last day. This diet got me to be completely away from dairy products, bread, wheat products, processed food but got me to eat more green vegetables, organic eggs, more fruits, etc. This diet was recommended by Dr. ASA Andrew. You can google it and you will see his site from there. When I got myself on this diet, I feel much better, some of my pms symptoms went away, lost 7 pounds, and have much more energy. However, the flow is still lasting longer than it should. I went to Peachtree Natural Food Store yesterday, they recommended me to try taking Femmenessence and that is supposed to balance the hormone levels in women who have issues. You may want to try them out. Hope this helps!

Hi Susan,
Sorry i had to write back late, i went to see the doctor again today making it the 18 th day and my period still on.I told her it comes out in clots sometimes and my stomach is big as if i am 3 months pregnant.She said that, based on the medical tests runned there was no problem with the hormones, thyroids and all the other tests, but the pap tests had little bacterial infection which is nothing according to her.
The Doctor said, she thinks the period is still on because of the 3 months i missed my period,so the blood must flow out.Then,that the big stomach was as a result of the period.She said it is not a serious concern now, but if it increases, i should report to the emergency. She did not prescribe any drug expect for Zidoval 7.5mg which i will insert when the period stops against the bacterial.
Unfortunately,my appointment with the gynacologist comes up in last week of August.I dont know when this period will stop and how long the next month period will stay.Also,my age is a concern to me because the fertility pills i heard dont work in one or two months.
Susan,i try to be calm,eat more fruits & vegetables, but the situation is just the same. Please,do i do?

HERWriter Guide (reply to gooses)

Hi gooses-

It's great to hear from you again although I'm sorry there is no improvement.

In your case, I think you can eat very well and be calm and it's not going to have any effect on this bleeding.

Speaking in a direct manner here: have you been tested for any kind of growth, cysts or tumors? I never heard of missing a period for 3 months (this means you didn't ovulate) and then your body "saving up" all the blood causing you to become huge and then have non-stop bleeding. I'm not a doctor but if I were in your shoes I'd be questioning this as a medical diagnosis/answer.

Gooses, please don't wait till August for this bleeding to be seen to. Present yourself to the emergency room and get treatment now.

Let me know if you have had ultrasounds or checks for growths and get back to me soon, if you can, ok? I'll be waiting for your post!

Susan,thanks for your prompt responses, i am grateful.
Yersterday,was the 23rd day i had my period, so i went straight to the emergency unit. Fortunately, i was sent to a gynaecologist. I had an ultrasound which showed that, both ovaries have large PC OS and i also have thick uterus lining which cause the long bleeding. I had test sample taken through the process of Endometrical Biopsy, the result will be ready in 2 weeks. The Doctor prescribed Terolut 10 mg Dydrogesteron and i will take it for 10 days for 3 months making it 30 tablets.According to her, it will help in the normal shedding of the uterus lining as well stop my irregular period.She said that, we have to wait for our appointment in August to see the fertility doctor for the treatment of PC OS .I pray it works, i cannot wait to have my baby.
Once again Susan,i thank you for your concern and will always update you.Thanks

HERWriter Guide (reply to gooses)

Gooses, I am SO glad you went ahead to the ER straight away instead of waiting till August. Great decision!

So it turns out that none of this was 'normal' which I highly suspected. I hope your doctor reads her copy of the report and realizes the mistakes she is making by just generalizing everything.

I'm so proud of you for going ahead with the ER visit and getting on medications that will actually stop this bleeding - you did the right thing.
Next stop - your August visit. Have your questions written down so you don't forget them and make sure they listen to you - you know your body best. I can't wait to hear how things go and if you need help or support in the meantime, we're here!

Just noticed that the bleeding as almost stopped. I am happy .
Susan, thanks for your support, you are great.

Anonymous (reply to gooses)

FYI.. Just because you have a period does not mean you ovulated. To be sure of ovulation a blood test should be performed.

Hi again Anon

Thanks for posting back!

I get the feeling you are using public health care somewhere in Europe/Canada/Australia? The downside of universal health care is the ridiculous wait times to see a specialist. To wait weeks or months is just wrong.

However, with regard to your period - if you are getting your periods, you are ovulating. And you seem to be ovulating quite regularly - this is a good thing!

And your facial hair is also an unfortunate symptoms of PCOS although you can talk to your specialist about medications for that.

What needs to be checked is why you are bleeding for so long every month. A normal period is about 3-8 days so 14 days is not normal.

You need a full hormonal check-up. This will involve fairly simple blood tests. Since you married a virgin (and if you were also a virgin) then a sexually transmitted infection/disease is fortunately not at issue. You will also need a pap test and evaluation of your uterus and ovaries to make sure all is healthy there too.
You can read more on prolonged periods here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003263.htm

Take heart in the fact that you are ovulating - although I'm sure the prolonged bleeding is of concern to you.
Anyway you can push your doctor to book a visit to a gynecologist earlier?