Q: 

My period is late after taking the morning after pill

By Anonymous February 12, 2011 - 5:12am

Alright, this is all new to me. This is my only source, i cant go to the doctor because im only 17, and i always go to the doctor with my mum. If i went without her she would be suspicious, and ask a million questions. Plus, she doesnt even know i've had sex. I really need help.
On January 2, my boyfriend and i had sex unprotected for the first time ever, i was quite literally shocked and scared. The next morning i took the morning after pill - this was my first ever time taking it. About 4 - 5 days later i started bleeding which lasted about 4 days, (i also got cramping, which i have never before experienced with a period). My period date is usually between the 19 - 23rd of the month, in December my period came as usual. Only, its now the 12th of February and there is no sign of a period. Im starting to really stress. I have taken a home pregnancy test, in which came back negative. But the stress is starting to take over me. i cant sleep at night, this is all i can think about, plus im not eating properly. Please help me to atleast feel reassured.

Anonymous

Hi there,

My last period was 1-7 June, had unprotected sex on 7th so I immediately took a morning after pill the next day (8 June). My perioda are usually regular on a 27-28 day cycle so my last expected period was 27 June but I haven't had my period since (almost 10 days late). All 3 home pregnancy tests are negative but I don't feel bloated or any of my usual symptoms when I'm about to have my period. I'm 35 and would love to have children in a year or 2 and I'm paranoid that this pill would stop my period entirely. Please help and if your reply is to me, please address is to MH so I know that it's for me.

Anonymous

Hi
I had unprotected se about 15 days after my period in May. I took the emergency contraception (take action) within 13 hours after (the next morning), even though he pulled out a few seconds before he came. I was suppose to start this weekend, but rather I had VERY light discharge (a few spots yesterday and a little more today). I have been crying for days because of stress, because I am really scared and wouldnt know what to do if something happened. I know that the serious stress, and also the pill can cause your period to be late or wacky, should I give it a few more days? I am really nervous, as I never sleep with someone. Please help, I'm an emotional wreck...

If you keep overtginking and stressing about your situation. Your brain basically makes your whole body change than how normally it is. You are going to get your period late because of the pill, but all that stress you are consuming also has part on why you haven't gotten your period. Still, pregnant or not you can't be scared you have to go consult your doctor.

Anonymous

I just need some advice as what to do. My last period was from April 18th-21st. I had taken emergency contraception on April 24th b/c my partner and I had unprotected sex on Saturday April 22nd. I have had sore breasts April 30th-May2nd, Spotting from May 10th-11th(which I have never experienced before), nausea the week 14-17th, throwing up after eating some foods and some slight cravings. My expected start date for menstruation was May 12th. I had some sort of discharge on As of right now I am 12 days late. Should I wait until the end of May or start of June to take a pregnancy test. I haven't had any stressors lately. If you can respond you can reply to JJ so I can know that the comment is directed towards me. Thank you so much for your help.

JJ I think it's time you see a GYN. Base on what you describe there's a very good chance you are pregnant. Good luck

Anonymous

Hi there,
I had sex and the condom split. I went straight to the pharmacy and tool the pill 4 hours after. I had a single bleed during sex about 5 days after. And nothing more. My period was due a week ago and I have had pms and light cramps, but no period.
Should I do a test or hold off another while?
Thanks

Your case seems very similar to mine. Condom broke on 9th April and I took an E-pill about 4 to 5 hours later. After 4 days I had my withdrawal bleeding that lasted about 3 days. From that point onward all I had was intense stretchy discharge. It looked much like the fertile discharge, but was cream-whitish. My normal period should have come on 3rd May but it didn't come. My period came on 20th May and it looked normal to me, although I have had spotting and cramping a little for the last few days. I am usually irregular so I expected the first period after the pill to be late. I had taken another pill about 3 years ago and my experience so far is if you have withdrawal bleeding you rarely get pregnant. Your period is just late. Don't worry.

Anonymous

Ok I have a question, ok here the back ground of it, I have my period mostly toward the end and beginning of the month. my last period was April 1-5 and I unprotected sex on the 29th of April I took a morning pill a couple hours within that day toward the night or late afternoon. so anyways my period was to start May 1, but I still haven't got my period is already May 9th and my boyfriend is freaking out. I told him it could a side effect not too sure, but I don't know really should I wait a couple for day, not going to lie I haven't feeling well and I know its too soon to take a test, but I just don't know can some give some advise

Anonymous

Hi please help
On April 13, I had sex and the condom broke and maybe an hour later I went to buy take action. One or two days after taking it I noticed a little blood (very faint) that lasted a day and just yesterday (April 26) I got my period but I'm really confused because it's not much blood but enough to wear a pad and this is the second day and it's less blood and I've looked up information and it says I could be pregnant?? Is it true?? Please help i don't know what to do..

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Changes in the menstrual cycle are a side effect of an emergency contraceptive. The flow of the nest period could be lighter or heavier than normal.

However, this is really a light and short flow.

Consider speaking with your gynecologist, who may order a blood pregnancy test.

Regards,