Q: 

My period is late after taking the morning after pill

By Anonymous February 12, 2011 - 5:12am

Alright, this is all new to me. This is my only source, i cant go to the doctor because im only 17, and i always go to the doctor with my mum. If i went without her she would be suspicious, and ask a million questions. Plus, she doesnt even know i've had sex. I really need help.
On January 2, my boyfriend and i had sex unprotected for the first time ever, i was quite literally shocked and scared. The next morning i took the morning after pill - this was my first ever time taking it. About 4 - 5 days later i started bleeding which lasted about 4 days, (i also got cramping, which i have never before experienced with a period). My period date is usually between the 19 - 23rd of the month, in December my period came as usual. Only, its now the 12th of February and there is no sign of a period. Im starting to really stress. I have taken a home pregnancy test, in which came back negative. But the stress is starting to take over me. i cant sleep at night, this is all i can think about, plus im not eating properly. Please help me to atleast feel reassured.

Anonymous

I had my period for two days but then took a period delay pill and thenI had sex on 10th September and condom split as we finished. We don’t think anything went inside of me but wanted go take morning after pill to be on the safe side. I took the pill on the 12th September. Two days after that I started bleeding for 5 days which seemed like a regular period. It’s been a month and still no period? Am I pregnant?

Hello Anon

Your risk is low but you will need to take a test to know for sure.

Anonymous

Took the morning after pill 4 days before my period...i am now a week and a half late with spotting about once a day, but no flow. I have been stressed with a lot going on as well... I'm 31 with 2 kids and no intention of having another for a while if we decide to.. I'm bloated and feeling really sluggish... Took 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative. I'm freaking out because where we are right now, there's no way we can bring a baby into play... any suggestions or ideas of what could be going on????
Ktryna

Anonymous

Alright, I write this for all you ladies out there who are currently freaking out. I've recently went through something similar and want to offer some sort of reassurance and peace of mind. I've noticed that not many people provide updates on what happened. I had unprotected sex on the last day of my period (he didn't ejaculate). I totally freaked out. I had been drunk the previous night but thankfully had the sense to call a halt to things before they went too far. I then took the morning after pill the next day - about 12 hours later. Remember ladies, it is more effective THE SOONER YOU TAKE IT AFTER UNPROTECTED SEX!! The next week, I experienced mild cramps and mild discharge. I waited for my next period. And waited. And waited some more. My next period was 2 weeks late. I was in such a bad place and was imagining the worst. I had taken a total of 6 pregnancy tests, taking one every two days after I was late. Finally, my period came, 2 weeks later than it ought to have been. All I can say to you all is, try not to freak out. And if you really think you are pregnant, go to see your doctor, I wish I had. And most importantly. GET YOURSELF ON RELIABLE CONTRACEPTIVES. I'm unable to take anything hormonal, as I have health problems. Am looking into to going on the copper coil in future. I hope you all find some comfort in my post. Hugs!

Anonymous

Hey guys.

I am currently not on any contraceptives, we only use condoms. I am getting married in December and I am due to start my period either on my wedding day or the first few days of honeymoon.

If I had to take the morning after pill, would it cause my period to move to after my honeymoon? When would be the best time to take it if this is the case?

Thank you :)

You can just ask the doctor for tablets that stop your period for a few days then when you stop you'll start your periods like normal. That's what I did when I went on holiday. Hope it helped. Xo

Hello Anon

Don't take the MAP to delay your period or try to get it to come early - the MAP is far too unreliable in terms of if/when a woman will bleed as a side effect. You could avoid it or could bleed for your wedding day and the first week of your honeymoon. It affects women in many different ways.
The only way to control this is to use the contraceptive pill starting in late autumn - you can take it every day without a break and you won't get your period at all. Then you can come off it again within a couple of months.
If you cannot go on it for health reasons, you might just have to cross your fingers.

Anonymous

Hi there,

My last period was 1-7 June, had unprotected sex on 7th so I immediately took a morning after pill the next day (8 June). My perioda are usually regular on a 27-28 day cycle so my last expected period was 27 June but I haven't had my period since (almost 10 days late). All 3 home pregnancy tests are negative but I don't feel bloated or any of my usual symptoms when I'm about to have my period. I'm 35 and would love to have children in a year or 2 and I'm paranoid that this pill would stop my period entirely. Please help and if your reply is to me, please address is to MH so I know that it's for me.

Hi MH
This is exactly what I am going through, although slightly more recently. Negative pregnancy tests but no signs of my period, including all the usual symptoms (bloating, sore boobs, etc). Also in my 30's and wanting children in 2 years. Did everything sort itself out or are you still waiting? x

Anonymous

Hi
I had unprotected se about 15 days after my period in May. I took the emergency contraception (take action) within 13 hours after (the next morning), even though he pulled out a few seconds before he came. I was suppose to start this weekend, but rather I had VERY light discharge (a few spots yesterday and a little more today). I have been crying for days because of stress, because I am really scared and wouldnt know what to do if something happened. I know that the serious stress, and also the pill can cause your period to be late or wacky, should I give it a few more days? I am really nervous, as I never sleep with someone. Please help, I'm an emotional wreck...