My period is late after taking the morning after pill

By Anonymous February 12, 2011 - 5:12am

Alright, this is all new to me. This is my only source, i cant go to the doctor because im only 17, and i always go to the doctor with my mum. If i went without her she would be suspicious, and ask a million questions. Plus, she doesnt even know i've had sex. I really need help.
On January 2, my boyfriend and i had sex unprotected for the first time ever, i was quite literally shocked and scared. The next morning i took the morning after pill - this was my first ever time taking it. About 4 - 5 days later i started bleeding which lasted about 4 days, (i also got cramping, which i have never before experienced with a period). My period date is usually between the 19 - 23rd of the month, in December my period came as usual. Only, its now the 12th of February and there is no sign of a period. Im starting to really stress. I have taken a home pregnancy test, in which came back negative. But the stress is starting to take over me. i cant sleep at night, this is all i can think about, plus im not eating properly. Please help me to atleast feel reassured.

Hi, can someone please help. I had sex on the last day of my period. I had basically no - slight spotting left till then. I took the morning and after pill within 2 hours of intercourse and bled after 8 days of the pill. I got my period exact on time on the 11th January with normal bleeding. However since that period my second period is 3 days late with a negative pregnancy test. Can someone please advise why I am late on my second period? Can I still be pregnant?

Guide (reply to Tina1200)

Hello Tina1200,

Welcome again to EmpowHER. Your second period might be late because you took an emergency contraceptive last month. I cannot say for certain. If your period is late by more than a week, consider speaking with your gynecologist about it.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi I've been on birth control pills (diane ) for the last 3 years and the last two weeks I have been taking it correctly. From Monday to Wednesday last week I took two pills every night and on Wednesday night I lost my virginity. The first penetration was without a condom but there after with one. There was no enjactulation at all. I bled for two days after that. The next day around mid day i took a morning after pill( escapelle ) and at night I took two more birth control pills. The day after that I started on my dummy pills for my period and it's been 3 days but nothing yet. I've been getting cramps and pains in my abdomen. Please help

Hello Anon

The birth control pills works when you take your pills every day at about the same time.

I'm not sure why you suddenly decided to taken them incorrectly, as well as take emergency contraception when there was no need. You never have to take two pills every day and then take EC. This may be why you are late.

Anonymous

My period was on Jan 11-15 and I had unprotected sex on Jan 21 and 22 which is probably the time when I was ovulating. I took tyhe morning after pill after 30 hours and now I am frequently peeing and my nipples are a bit tender. Am I pregnant? My period is due on Feb 8 and I'm so worried right now.

Anonymous

My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex where he did ejaculate inside of me twice on the 17th and 18th of January. I took the pill leas than 24 hours later. My period was suppose to hit January 27. It's not February 3rd and nothing. I have experienced depression, mood swings, vaginal discharge since then. I took a pregnancy test several days ago and it came up negative. Any advice?

Anonymous

I and my gf had sex with condom.I ejaculate in condom.Then also we had sex.After sometime we did it only once without condom.She had taken econ but after some days she had irregular bleeding and again after 10 days.But after the last bleeding she is not having her period for more than one month.please help me.

Hello Anon

Your girlfriend needs to take a pregnancy test.

Anonymous

Me and my boyfriend had sex 2 days before my ovulation. No condom, just withdrawal method. I took Nordette as ECP after 12 hours. 5-6 days after taking nordette, I experienced bleeding and slight cramps. That was almost 2 weeks ago. I'm supposed to have my period today and no sign of it. Also, I think I am akready experiencing morning sickness. Could my period be late because of nordette? If not, what are the chances that I have a baby in my tummy now?

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Symptoms usually start 3-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If you don’t get your next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low.