My period is late after taking the morning after pill

By Anonymous February 12, 2011 - 5:12am

Alright, this is all new to me. This is my only source, i cant go to the doctor because im only 17, and i always go to the doctor with my mum. If i went without her she would be suspicious, and ask a million questions. Plus, she doesnt even know i've had sex. I really need help.
On January 2, my boyfriend and i had sex unprotected for the first time ever, i was quite literally shocked and scared. The next morning i took the morning after pill - this was my first ever time taking it. About 4 - 5 days later i started bleeding which lasted about 4 days, (i also got cramping, which i have never before experienced with a period). My period date is usually between the 19 - 23rd of the month, in December my period came as usual. Only, its now the 12th of February and there is no sign of a period. Im starting to really stress. I have taken a home pregnancy test, in which came back negative. But the stress is starting to take over me. i cant sleep at night, this is all i can think about, plus im not eating properly. Please help me to atleast feel reassured.

Anonymous

Hey girls,
So I had protected sex (until the Condom broke) on the 18th of December the day my period finished but the condom split and my boyfriend pulled out but didn't ejaculate. I was really worried so I took the morning after pill 8 hours after. I started experiencing spotting a day or two after taking the pill which lasted for two days. I started getting vaginal discharge lately and I cramp every now and then but they are light cramping. My period usually lasts 2-3 days and was meant to come on the 12th of January but it hasn't come. I'm really scared , I don't know if the pill failed or not because I always see girls saying that if you get bleeding after you take the pilll then it has worked but I didn't bleed just had spotting. Someone help!

Hello Anon

A pregnancy test would be accurate by now and let you know where you stand.

Anonymous

Hello everyone! I'm raquel, I am actually curious now if what am experiencing is the withdrawal bleeding or my period. Had my last period Nov. 21- 24, 2016 we had sex of November 30, and took Nordette Dec. 2 at around 7pm and Dec. 3 7am 2nd dose, I had the withdrawal bleeding Dec 9-11. So I was also expecting my period at around Dec. 19-24, however it did not come so I thought it might get delayed because of the nordette I took. Dec. 27 we did it again but this time condom and withdrawal but to make sure I took another dose of nordette Dec. 28, 3am & 2nd dose 3pm.. I was nervous because did not feel any side effects after, But January 04 -06,2017 was able to feel some side effects such as abdominal cramps, felt like vomiting so I thought it must be my period, but January 09 no bleeding at all so I was worried that I might be pregnant so I decided to have a PT yesterday but then I started to bleed at around 2pm of January 12, and now I'm not sure if its my period or withdrawal bleeding, but looks like my period,, when can I actually have the pregnancy test just to make sure that I am not pregnant at all.. thanks...

Hello Raquel

A pregnancy test would be accurate by now.

You are feeling as you do because you are over-using emergency contraception and using it as birth control instead of real emergencies. These large doses of hormones cause these kinds of side effects.

Your bleeding indicates you are not pregnant. Your cycle will regulate when you stop taking this medication.

Anonymous

Hi, The last time I've had sex was January 4 of this year & my boyfriend ejaculated inside of me. I've taken the 'Take Action' pill Saturday, January 7. My last period was December 13 and today it's the 10. I am very worried, could I be pregnant? I feel no signs of my period about to come on and no signs of pregnancy now. My last period came on late, I had horrible abdominal pains, felt like I was about to fall out at work and it only lasted about 4 days and the first day it was just spotting. Now, after having sex on the 4th, I haven't felt any signs or anything. And my period tracker app says I'm 4 days late... please give me some advice.

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell.

Symptoms usually start 3-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If you don’t get your next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low.

Thank you! I was just asking because I took the pill three days later & it normally says it's more effective within the first 24 hours..

Hello Anon

Yes, the pill is the most effective when taken within that time frame but it can still be effective. The effectiveness goes from about 95% to somewhere between 70 and 80% so it's better than nothing.

Hi, can someone please help asap!! I had sex on the last day of my period. I had basically no - slight spotting left till then. I took the morning and after pill within 2 hours of intercourse and bled after 8 days of the pill. I had sex again but used protection. My period was last on the 10th of December and have been experiencing cramps for the past week. My periods are very regular and I should get my period today 10/12 but still nothing and I am getting very very worried now. I have taken two pregnancy tests today one early morning and late night but both have came out negative. Can you please help. When can I expect my period? Why am I late? Please help asap.

Anonymous

Hello, Mary Ann thanks for the Reply However I did still took nordette twice within a month, and now am not sure if what I am experiencing are side effects or if I am pregnant I am still afraid to take the pregnancy test until now. I am still waiting for the withdrawal bleeding I took the last dose Dec. 28. I have been feeling bloated, cramps and the feeling of vomiting and its almost a week now... I hope I am not pregnant but because of the side effects of nordette , or am just so paranoid and worried.. Hope to be ready to have the test by the end of this week am praying that result would be negative....