My period is late after taking the morning after pill

By Anonymous February 12, 2011 - 5:12am

Alright, this is all new to me. This is my only source, i cant go to the doctor because im only 17, and i always go to the doctor with my mum. If i went without her she would be suspicious, and ask a million questions. Plus, she doesnt even know i've had sex. I really need help.
On January 2, my boyfriend and i had sex unprotected for the first time ever, i was quite literally shocked and scared. The next morning i took the morning after pill - this was my first ever time taking it. About 4 - 5 days later i started bleeding which lasted about 4 days, (i also got cramping, which i have never before experienced with a period). My period date is usually between the 19 - 23rd of the month, in December my period came as usual. Only, its now the 12th of February and there is no sign of a period. Im starting to really stress. I have taken a home pregnancy test, in which came back negative. But the stress is starting to take over me. i cant sleep at night, this is all i can think about, plus im not eating properly. Please help me to atleast feel reassured.

my vigina also discharging white liquid what is this ? is this sign of pregnancy ? discharging is start from the 2nd day of sex .

hello my name is mahi my question is that .i did sex on 11th oct.but my b.f discharge out of vigina .but he feels during sex one drop came out from his penis(not discharge only one drop) but he is not sure that it was semens.after 24 hours later i took ecp 0.75 mg .my period date is 23 to 25th oct and my period doesn't come after taking ecp.i have notice that my vigina is discharging liquid after doing sex.and i have done a pregnancy test at home it was negtive .i am in doubt that i am pregnant .is it ture that i am pregnant ??

The discharge after sex was likely a combination of seminal fluid and your own body fluids.

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective for women under 176 pounds (it is less effective for women over 165 pounds and ineffective for women over 176 pounds) when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so your risk is very small. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Symptoms usually start 3-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If you don’t get your next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low.
Read more here:

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello mahi,

An emergency contraceptive pill can cause your period to start later than expected. If you have no bleeding within three weeks of taking the pill, then test for pregnancy.

(reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

and white discharging ? is this sign of pregnancy ?

Hello, I am 17 and currently stressing out over this whole thing. I had sex for the first time August 27th and took the emergency contraception (Take Action) one hour after the event. I had my "period" on September 3 and 4 which was said to be a side effect. But then my expected period was September 18 but there was no signs of period whatsoever. It is now September 24th which is now 6 days late to my period and I am so scared because I don't know what it is. I have been having white discharges and slight cramps and tender breasts, most of the time I know this is a sign that my period is coming, but now I have no clue. Most women that had taken emergency contraception are early to their periods but I am late on mine. I found one comment before that said she was 2 weeks late before she got her period. I do not know if it is a side effect of the emergency contraception or that I may be pregnant. I am absolutely terrified to take a test so please help.

Hello I had something similar and I got tender breasts,discharge,and cramps but I soon found out it was because of the hormones in ecp. My period came about 3 weeks late and after it did I couldn't be more happier. Period symptoms and pregnant symptoms are the same so it's common to be scared. If you can't get a test just keep up with your body. Make note of any changes. I wouldn't worry too much since u took it straight away but if u need any more advise I will be sure to help you.

I think I have helped you on this before:

You're going to have to take a pregnancy test to know, if you're period doesn't come first. One way or the other you'll need to know. There isn't anything else we can say other than test - that's what the tests are for. Otherwise we can only guess and you will be more stressed.

You're not pregnant. If your boyfriend used the pull out method and you took a morning after pill directly the next morning then you should be fine. The missed period is a side effect on the morning after pill. Your body will adjust soon. If you're afraid to get pregnant try going on birth control pills instead of spending money constantly for morning after pills. You can get them from your pcp or any clinic without your mom knowing. Best of luck.

Hello I was wandering what are the chances of pregnancy when he used the pulled out method and I took the morning after pill the next morning? If you can help I would appreciate the advise.