Q: 

My period is late after taking the morning after pill

By Anonymous February 12, 2011 - 5:12am

Alright, this is all new to me. This is my only source, i cant go to the doctor because im only 17, and i always go to the doctor with my mum. If i went without her she would be suspicious, and ask a million questions. Plus, she doesnt even know i've had sex. I really need help.
On January 2, my boyfriend and i had sex unprotected for the first time ever, i was quite literally shocked and scared. The next morning i took the morning after pill - this was my first ever time taking it. About 4 - 5 days later i started bleeding which lasted about 4 days, (i also got cramping, which i have never before experienced with a period). My period date is usually between the 19 - 23rd of the month, in December my period came as usual. Only, its now the 12th of February and there is no sign of a period. Im starting to really stress. I have taken a home pregnancy test, in which came back negative. But the stress is starting to take over me. i cant sleep at night, this is all i can think about, plus im not eating properly. Please help me to atleast feel reassured.

Anonymous

Hello.
I wanted to ask about the likelihood of being pregnant. My boyfriend and I had sex unprotected using the withdrawal method. It was the day that I was supposed to begin my cycle. Even though he was confident that we did everything right, I took Next Choice about two and a half days later. Still no sign of my period, which means that by now I am late by five days. Could stress and the EC pill be delaying, or even making me skip, my period? How soon should I take a pregnancy test to find out?
Thanks in advance.

Hello Anon

There was probably no need to take EC when your period was due but taking it may have delayed it from starting.
Pregnancy tests are accurate 14-21 days from the time you had sex.

Anonymous

Hello. Your response would mean a lot. I had sex for the first time last 19th of February. The condom slipped off. I didn't take any action because it was my first time and I didn't know what to do. We did it five days before my period so I also thought it was safe. A week later, (feb 28) I had sex again but no ejaculation inside me. After reading articles on the internet, I took plan b the next morning. Just to be safe. I should have had my period by this time but I was late for one week. I experienced bloating, cramping, fatigue, swollen breats, and breast pain. Fortunately, I had bleeding for four days after a week (March 7-10)

Fast forward to March 28, I still experience cramping, breast pain, bloating and other pregnancy symptoms. Is it possible that these are still effects of the pill? I took 5 pregnancy tests and the results are all negative. I am looking forward to your response! Thank you in ad vance!

Hello Anon

Thank you for writing.

Since you bled after sex (the second time), you can consider that your period.

However, a pretty common side effect is a delayed period the month after so this is what's happening. You don't need to take any more tests - they are all negative. You're not pregnant.

Your symptoms sound like PMS meaning your period should be along in a week or less.

I had sex late night early morning on the 17th of February which was also the first day of my period. The very next day I took a Take Action Pill. I was expecting my period this month but now I am 9 days late. I am freaking out. I get cramps every now again, and my boobs are sometimes sore but that goes away. I have taken a test because I'm super scared. Help me please.

Anonymous

Me and my bf had sex February 8th the condom broke so I took an emergency contraception pill not even an hour later. I got my period about a week after on February 15th. But It is now March 28th and my period has not come for this month should I be worried? Or is this normal?

Hello Anon

There is very little risk of pregnancy - EC can delay the following period. A pregnancy test can provide you peace of mind.

HI, i want to know the chances of me being pregnant. I've had sex 5 days into my period, still bleeding very lightly - just a bit of spotting. I had intercourse yesterday and my partner used a condom. There was no leakage after we checked but I'm still worried if a condom can leak from the edges? I'm probably worrying over nothing but any answer I would really appreciate thanks

HERWriter Guide (reply to Tina1200)

Hi Tina

Your risk is very low - I wouldn't worry about leaky edges - condoms are 98% effective when used correctly.

Sex during a period rarely ends in pregnancy.

Thanks for your reply Susan.

I just want to ask for the peace of my mind. If combining both that I had sex 5 days into my period and On top a condom was used, there is very little chance I can be pregnant? I am worried sick and can't eat, sleep or think straight. Waiting for you response.
Thanks