Q: 

My period is late after taking Postinor 2

By January 20, 2017 - 8:10pm

Hello,
I was on my 6th day of my cycle (just finishing my period). The condom split so I took the first tablet of postinor2 2 hours later (1am). We then had unprotected sex 6 hours later (7am). I took the 2nd postinor tablet 3 hours later(10am).
8 days later I had heavy bleeding lasting 4 days. Firstly, is this a sign that postinor worked?
Since then i have had no sign of my period.
In the last 2 weeks (aboit 22nd day of cycle) I have had the flu and been unwell. This has all made me quite anxious.
My period cycle is quite irregular.
Thanks for your help in advance

Anonymous

hello..i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend exactly 2 weeks after my period..which was on the 5th..and few hours later i took bicham ampiclox.. then on d 11th i had unprotected sex with him again and took postinor2 the next day.. im supposed to ecpect my next period on the 18th but till now i haven' t seen it.. could it be that im pregnant?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi.

Your period is likely delayed because of the ECP. It's recommended to test for pregnancy if your period is more than a week or 2 late. ECP is for emergencies and should not be used as a regular form of birth control as it can cause irregularities in a women's cycle.

Helena

Anonymous

Hi ... me and my girl friend had unprotected sexualy time.. befor the 4 days her menses starting day.. ( her mensus starting day 11th of September we had sex 7 th of September) but we had use condom as well as..and Postinor 01 . But still now she doesn’t had mensus.. 7 days lat... what we do.,?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi,
I'm confused. Did you use a condom or not? Emergency contraception can sometimes cause a period to be delayed, so this might be why her period is late. There is information with the pills that should be read so you know what to expect. If her period is delayed another week, and she is concerned, she can test for pregnancy.

Helena

Anonymous

how would a woman calculate when her next period would come after using postinor 2 at the right time. is there a kind of calculation that can be done just to put ones mind at rest a little

Hello Anon

By the very nature of P2 (a very large dose of hormones to prevent pregnancy) there is no way to predict when the next period will arrive. It can be quite disruptive to the menstrual cycle.

A pregnancy test can be taken 14+ days after sex - they're accurate by then.

Anonymous

Hi Helena,I took postinor2 at once the same day i had unprotected sex and it's over 2weeks now am yet to see my period, pls am really worried could it be that the contraceptives failed?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi.

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so the risk is very small. It can cause your period to be late. This is a fairly common side effect.
If you don’t get your period within a week or two of its expected date, a pregnancy test is recommended.

How ECP might fail: if you have unprotected sex during your fertile window (four days before you ovulate, the day you ovulate, or the day after) you are naturally more likely to get pregnant. ECP prevents pregnancy by preventing ovulation. If ovulation has already occurred, your ECP can’t stop you from getting pregnant. ECP is not an abortion pill and will not terminate a pregnancy.

Helena

Anonymous

I had unprotected sex 3 days before my ovulation and took postinor2 the following day and the 2nd dose the day after. My period was suppose come on 24th of September and up till now I have not seen it. I did a pregnancy strip text and its negative. I have repeated the text for 3times now and its negative. Am worried what should I do.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello.

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours, so the risk is very small. It can cause your period to be late. If you are still concerned, wait a week and test again. Otherwise, there is nothing to do but wait for your period to show.

Helena

Emergency Contraception