Q: 

My period is late after taking Postinor 2

By January 20, 2017 - 8:10pm

Hello,
I was on my 6th day of my cycle (just finishing my period). The condom split so I took the first tablet of postinor2 2 hours later (1am). We then had unprotected sex 6 hours later (7am). I took the 2nd postinor tablet 3 hours later(10am).
8 days later I had heavy bleeding lasting 4 days. Firstly, is this a sign that postinor worked?
Since then i have had no sign of my period.
In the last 2 weeks (aboit 22nd day of cycle) I have had the flu and been unwell. This has all made me quite anxious.
My period cycle is quite irregular.
Thanks for your help in advance

Anonymous

had sex on the 30th of November after my boyfriend poured inside me,i took postinor 2 but up till now haven't seen my period and haven't been feeling any sign of pregnancy,what do u think the problem is, cause my period ought to be today

Hello Anon

Emergency contraceptives are up to 95% effective when taken as prescribed within the first 24 hours and up to 90% effective if taken within 72 hours, so the risk is very small. It works by preventing ovulation and stopping a pregnancy from starting. It is not an abortion pill. It prevents a pregnancy, it does not end one. Side effects can include stomach aches, headaches, breast pain, nausea and a general feeling of being unwell. Some women can bleed a little or quite extensively after taking emergency contraception.

The more frequently they are taken, the more likely a woman is to have side effects and an irregular cycle. They should be taken only for emergencies, not used as a method of birth control.
Symptoms usually start 2-7 days after taking the medication and may or may not include bleeding or spotting. Not all women get symptoms. Some get many, or a few, or none. If a woman doesn’t get her next period within a week of it’s expected date, a pregnancy test may be necessary although the risk is very low. Periods can often be delayed or longer/shorter as a result of taking emergency contraception. We cannot predict this for our readers in terms of length of delays. Each woman is different. Periods should get back to normal by the second cycle after.

Anonymous

I had unprotected sex with my boy friend on the 13th of last month and i took postinor2 together and on 16th we had protected sex and on 17th we had unprotected sex again although he didn't release inside me.I began having seeing dropz of blood 7 days or there about for 4 days
I went for a pregnancy test after 2 weeks nd it was negative.but up till now I can't see my period
am having the signs(my breasts are heavy), but nothing...am scared ion know what to do

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi,

If you read through the thread you can see that many women experience a delay in their period after emergency contecetopn. You will just have to wait for your period to sort itself out. For future, consider using condoms. ECP is for emergencies, not for planned sex.

Helena

Anonymous

Hi i have a question , I had sex on the 15th of November according to the app it was an ovulating day and he used the pull out method I wanted to be safe so I used the postinor 6 hours later and took it on time the next day . My period is 5 days late and I'm freaking out because this has never happened before . Do you think I have anything to worry about ?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi.

ECP can cause irregularity in your cycle, so a late period is not uncommon. A pregnancy test is generally accurate 14 days after sex if you'd like reassurance. The pull-out method is not always as reliable, so you might consider using condoms for future.  

Helena

Anonymous

hello,i had Dndc in september,then had my period oct 25th,in nov i fell ill so took antibiotics injections nd drips,2 sundays ago had sex but my bf used d withdrawal method,but my mind wasnt clear so i used prostinor2,now nov has ended no sign of my period,did pregnancy urine nd blood test both Negative,pls what could be happening am so worried.

Hello Anon

Thank you for writing.

Your period is likely late due to taking P2 - period delays are common. Your period may be a week or two away yet. A pregnancy test is generally accurate 14 days after sex if you'd like reassurance.

Anonymous

I had my last period on the 28th of oct and i took contraceptive pills 2wice this month but am texted negative . & my menstruation is not coming...

Hello Anon

Your period isn't coming because you are overusing these pills. If you don't take them anymore you should get your next period in the next few weeks.

Emergency Contraception