Pregnancy Guide

ask: My period is late. Could I be pregnant? Please help...

Hi! As of now, I am 4 days late for my period, which should have started on the 5th of March. My cycles are usually 28-31 days long. I'm 21 years old. I had unprotected sex (very foolish) :(, using the withdrawal method, on the 12th of February (which is my 8th cycle day). My period stopped on the 9th of February. However, I'm not sure if I was still on my period when I had intercourse because a few days later, I had some brown discharge (which I think might be left-over menses).

I have been using a period tracker app on my phone since May 2012, and it predicted my fertile window to be from 14th Feb (10th day of cycle) to 20th Feb (16th day of cycle). I was under a lot of stress and was emotional/slightly depressed (I broke up with my bf on the 13th Feb) during the 14th Feb to the 21st Feb, so could I have ovulated late? And is it possible to ovulate on day 22nd of cycle? If so, how many days after ovulation do period usually come? (is it always 14-16 days?). Is it too early to get a HPT?
Please help me clarify. I am just constantly in a worry state right now and can't really do anything properly :( I know I have gotten myself into a really bad situation. My period have not been this late before. I just hope my period will be here soon :( Please help..

Anonymous

Hi my period was 2weeks late the month of Jan I was suppose to get it the 9th of Jan. And end up getting it the last week of Jan. I took four test before I got itand they were all negative but it end up coming but I didn't get my period the month of Feb. At all it was suppose to come the 23rd of Feb. It is now the 13th of march and me and my husband had a slip up on the pull out method after my last period and I'm not on any birth control but we have these scared every month I was thinking maybe its just coming late like last month sinse the month of Feb. Is short but I've been feeling pressure in my stomach and sense we had a real slip up this time I think I just might be please tell me what you think

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You are dealing with two issues.
The first is the recent onset of irregular menstrual cycles. Depending on your age, you could be starting to experience perimenopausal symptoms, particularly irregular periods.
The second is unprotected sex. The pull out method is not a very effective birth control method.
You can take the guesswork and anxiety out of this situation by taking a pregnancy test.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I took a test today and it was negative and I'm only 24 years of age is that to young to go throw premenopausal

Yes, 24 years of age is too young to begin experiencing perimenopause.

Quoting the American Pregnancy Association, " Ovulation can be calculated by starting with the day the last menstrual period (LMP) starts or by calculating 12-16 days from the next expected period. Most women ovulate anywhere between Day 11 – Day 21 of their cycle, counting from the first day of the LMP. This is what many refer to as the “fertile time” of a woman’s cycle, because sexual intercourse during this time increases the chance of pregnancy. Ovulation can occur at various times during a cycle, and may occur on a different day each month."

The ovulation cycle is divided into two parts. The follicular phase is the first part, which starts on the first day of the last menstrual period and continues until ovulation. The second half is called the luteal phase and is from the day of ovulation until the next period begins.

It usually lasts only 12 to 16 days from the day of ovulation. This ultimately means that the day of ovulation will determine how long your cycle is. This also means that outside factors like stress, illness, and disruption of normal routine can throw off your ovulation which then results in changing the time your period will come. So the old thought that stress can affect your period is only partly true. Stress can affect your ovulation which ultimately determines when your period will come, but stress around the time of an expected period will not make it late—it was already determined when it would come 12-16 days earlier.

During pregnancy, the cells that form the placenta produce the hormone hCG. Levels of hCG can be detected in urine about 12 to 14 days following conception. As a general rule of thumb, test once your period is late by at least one week. Always test on the first urine of the morning, which is concentrated.

I hope this information is helpful.

Anonymous

I have no Pre-Menstruation Symptoms so far and I'm worried.

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :