My period is very irregular. Once it didnt come for 5 months but every time it lasts 4-6 days. However this time i was late by a month and it only lasted 2 days. Normal?

I did take norethisterone around two months ago.

Thanks for your question and for finding EmpowHER!

Some young women find that their cycles are very erratic/irregular for the first year or two of starting their periods and this may be the case with you. You may find that you don't have a regular cycle for another year or so (and some women are always irregular). However, talking to a doctor now about it is a good idea. But it seems you may be since you have been on medication....
Anon, why did the doctor put you on Norethisterone? And for how long? Was it because of your irregularity? Are you planning to take it again?

Also, can you tell us how old you were when you started getting your period?

Knowing this information will help us guide you further! I hope to hear back from you soon!

I was 12 when i started it.
I am a muslim and i took norethisterone in ramadan cos i was in saudi and i didnt want my period to come so i could spend as much time as possible outside the mosque. I dont plan on taking it again. I took it for around 10 days, twice a day. But my periods are never that short! It was very heavy and then just ended two days later!
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the update Anon!

If you have not seen the gynecologist yet, I think it's time and please mention that you are very irregular. You may find, as I said before, that you even out within a year or two or there may be an underlying issue as to why you are so irregular. However, your doctor will be the person to help you with this.

I hope you get some answers, Anon and when you do, make sure you share it with us - you never know how you can help others by helping yourself!

I look forward to an update!

Thing is susan, i dont know if its natural or not.
So should i see a doctor or not?
cos i did start my period only 2 years ago..

(reply to Anonymous)

We're not doctors here, so we can't diagnose you. We can only advise you and help you advocate for your health. We can tell you that many girls do experience irregular periods in their teens. However, when you go more than 90 days without a period after you have begun having them, a doctor typically wants to check you out to see if there is something causing you not to have a period. It also is a good idea to get an appointment with a family doctor or gynecologist at around your age to get checked out, and have the time to ask any questions you may have about sexuality, reproductive health, birth control, etc.
Here is an article about menstruation and what's normal that may help give perspective:
Good luck and let us know how else we can help.