My period is very late and I have not had a positive pregnancy test. Is there a possibility my period could return?

By April 26, 2016 - 3:23pm

It's been 117 days since my last period and I have only had 1 period since last October. Since then I have heart burn for the first time, frequent headaches and am so tired all the time. I am not on birth control (haven't been since May 2015) and I have had hpt's, blood tests, thyroid tests, hormone tests, ultrasounds to check for PCOS, every test under the sun and they've all come back negative or normal. I am between insurance companies so I have sort of maxed out my doctor visits. Is there a chance this is just a fluke in my cycle or could it be more serious? has anyone experiences this and had their cycle return naturally? My OB reduced it to stress (and didn't do any of the exams, I had to go to ER) but I'm starting to think it might be more serious.

Hi Danashavis,

Thank you for sharing your question with the EmpowHER community.

When a woman who has been having normal menstrual cycles stops getting her periods anywhere from 3 to 6 months or longer it's called secondary amenorrhea.

Common factors that can contribute are, birth control use, hormone shots or certain medications. Could any of these be the culprit in your situation?

Secondary amenorrhea is not normal, so yes, please continue to press the issue and advocate for yourself until you have answers.

No Cycle or Missed Cycle

Be well,

Amenorrhea Guide