My question is about CLA for weight loss.

By September 5, 2016 - 12:27pm

I find it kind of confusing. I read everywhere that eating meat is good in terms of consuming enough CLA. At the same time I find articles that non-grass fed animals offer no CLA at all. I am afraid of taking CLA supplements as I read everywhere that excessive amount of CLA leads to liver damage etc... I can't really understand where to draw the line and what to eat and take in terms of CLA. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Hi FeelSpirit

CLA is also known as Conjugated Linoleic Acid is a fat often found in meat and dairy. It's a "good fat" like ones seen in olive and coconuts oils and avocado and many nuts etc. Don't take it in supplements if you can, they often contain engineered fats from various seeds and are not the most healthy.

I think you may have gotten the grass fed beef versus non-grass fed beef mixed up. CLA is found in much greater numbers in grass fed meat than other meat, not the other way around.

Everyone should be eating grass fed beef in general, anyway. It's simply better and more healthy.

Most people want to take these supplements to lose weight - is that the case? If so, just cut out calories and take exercise - CLA won't make much of a difference without those two actions.

Read more about CLA here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/conjugated-linoleic-acid

I hope this has helped!

Diet & Nutrition

Diet & Nutrition Guide