my question is about zoloft

My daughter age 21 was given zoloft to be taken for 7-14 days before her period (for ppmd) and then to stop taking it. Her OB-GYN is a very respected and reputable physician. We constantly hear that going off an ant-depressants can cause problems in young people so I'm confused how going on and off it isn't going to be a problem. Can you help? My other question is because I have lost 2 friends to ovarian cancer, I tend to be really paranoid about the symptoms. Does it cause a bloaty "feeling" or actual gas in the belly? Thank You so much! Lisa Gottlieb

Thanks for your response....she was hesitant to start it... but was having a low day last week post period and took one....she then asked me the next day "should I keep taking it"?....I told her No, because it wasn't prescribed to her that way. Now not sure what to do...because of Hepa laws Dr. won't discuss with me because she is 21. ...and to get her to call the Dr. is impossible

Hi Lisa

PPMD is a very serious condition but I agree that going on and off Zoloft every month could be worriesome.

For some women, it can take a couple of weeks to see any kind of difference when on this medication so she may have gone off it by the time it starts to work.

I think she needs to ask the doctor why she is on and off this medication rather than being on it full-time.

Also, for a list of side effects, click here: http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=517

For more on PMDD, read here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/pmdd

Lisa, has your daughter also expressed concern about this? Has the Zoloft helped with her PMDD so far?