My sister will turn 62 next month. About 4 years ago I noticed something was wrong. She was initally diagnosed with Lyme disease, but is now diagnosed by another doctor with primary progressive aphasia. Could it be both? She's getting worse rapidly.

By Anonymous December 31, 2015 - 9:06am

She now thinks she's fine. Her personality has totally changed. She's very contentious and makes little sense when she talks. I don't think we can take her on a plane anymore because of her combativeness. Any suggestions on new avenues to pursue?

Welcome to Empower and thank you for reaching out to us.

As you know, early symptoms of Lyme disease typically include a rash and flu-like symptoms. Later symptoms are joint pain and neurological problems, such as temporary paralysis of one side of your face (Bell's palsy), numbness or weakness in your limbs, and impaired muscle movement.

Primary progressive aphasia is a rare nervous system syndrome that impairs language capabilities. It is caused by a shrinking of the frontal and temporal lobes in the brain, primarily on the left side of the brain.

Personally, I do not think Lyme disease caused primary progressive aphasia. I suspect some form of dementia and suggest a consultation with a neurologist.

Aphasia Guide