my son died with ophagus cancer

By Anonymous December 15, 2010 - 2:20am

My son was 42 when he passed, he was a smoker but not heavy although his wife was as were his friends. I am aware that the smoking was not good but the question is, my son lived in an old house which had severe mould problems, they demolished the house and in the process of rebuilding he was diagnosed with cancer. Do you think the mould played a huge part in his getting cancer?

Firstly, I am so sorry to read of your son's death. As a mother myself, I can only imagine the pain it has caused you.

There are many causes for esophageal cancer. The main causes are:
■Age: 60 or older
■Sex: male
■Smoking or smokeless tobacco use (such as chewing tobacco or snuff)
■Alcohol use
■History of gastroesophageal reflux , especially if this has caused Barrett's esophagus
■Achalasia (chronic dilation of the esophagus)
You can read a lot more, Anon, on our Esophageal Cancer page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/esophageal-cancer/definition
■Infection with Helicobacter pylori (causes stomach ulcers )
■Certain rare genetic conditions such as Plummer Vinson syndrome and tylosis
■Damaged esophagus from toxic substances, such as lye
■History of cancer of the head and/or neck
■Human papilloma virus (HPV) infection
■Alendronate (Fosamax) (rare) *¹

Do you know if he was a drinker too? That, combined with being a smoker may have led to this.

But to answer your question about mold - yes, there are links; you can read more on a this here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/26555-esophagus-stomach-cancer/

So it may have been a combination of many unhealthy facets of his life or home.

How long was he living in the house before the renovations? If he was there a while, a house with a severe mold problem could certainly be related to your son's cancer. Mold is very dangerous for this reason and for all sorts of health reasons.

My deepest condolences to you and please let us know if we can help you further.

Esophageal Cancer

Esophageal Cancer Guide