Polymyalgia Rheumatica

ask: My sympyoms of polymyalgia and GCA have returned after reducing prednisone to 10 mg. when some symtoms re-occurred in a week, I went back to 15, but now symptoms are back again. What next?

Symptoms are decreased vision, jaw pain, scalp tenderness, headache, andmuscle pain in neck, shoulders, arms, and hips. I originally started with 60 mg prednisone and then to 30, 20, 15, and finally 10, It was when I went to 10 the symptoms came back. Any other meds available? Change of diet?

Hi,
I can appreciate your frustration. As you know, Polymyalgia rheumatica is an inflammatory disorder that causes muscle pain and stiffness, primarily in your neck, shoulders, upper arms, hips and thighs It is related to and may coexist with another inflammatory disorder called giant cell arteritis, which can cause headaches, visual impairment, jaw pain and other symptoms.
Corticosteroids, such as prednisone. are the general drug of choice.Some physician recommend physical therapy. Eating a diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat meat and dairy products may help. Avoid foods with high levels of refined sugars and salt.Talk to your doctor about exercise that is appropriate for you to maintain a healthy weight and to strengthen bones and muscles.