Hyperthyroidism

Hyperthyroidism Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: my thyroid, tsh.01 but im fat and i have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and they still want nore tests that i cant afford why?

for the past 2yrs goin to gym watching very carefully what goes in my mouth, yet the personal trainer said i must be lying bout what im eatin bcuz working out 6days week 2hrs should result in some loss, I quit goin to that gym! now i own a treadmill, my thyroid tsh test came back at .01 they have done an ultrasound for fear i might have cancer, that came back NORMAL then they sent me for radioactive iodine uptake test that came back NORMAL now they want 3 labs done at a cost of 586.$$$ ooo did i mention I HAVE NO MEDICAL COVERAGE!! and dont qualify for any! I am exhausted panic attacts depression and i wont take antidepression pills!! just wont. just the past 4 days i have been in bed exhausted sleeping havent eating anythin, but 3 saltine crackers my lungs feel at half capisity but gettin better, i need some answers but cant afford healthcare and untill i get these labs done they dont know how to treat me ..... are they thinking i have cancer? cant cuz those came back normal what are they looking for?

Anonymous

Wow. Great response! I know its old but I am just looking up my results and I found this really useful. Previously I lost weight on TSH 0.01 Free t3 3.4 and free t4 14.1. I think the slight hyperthyroidism was better then my current hypo, TSH 1.8.

Thank you for your question. I want to review your current symtpoms, and make sure this is accurate:

1. Your TSH level is .01, and I assume the lab normal ranges are somewhere between 0.3-4.2 mU/L? If you do not know the lab's normal range, please call for a copy of your lab test results. (You should always request a copy of your test results).
2. If your TSH levels are low (which it sounds like they are), there are several possible reasons for low TSH levels that include hyperthyroidism, other medications and other medical conditions.
3. You have other symptoms that you mentioned throughout your post, and I am not sure how severe they are. Your list of secondary symptoms included panic attacks, depression, exhaustion, low lung capacity and low appetite. These may resolve themselves once you begin feeling more confident about your other diagnosis and have control over your lab results and what they mean (empower yourself with information!).

You have many options, and you just need to make a list of the questions you have unanswered, and call your health care provider for these answers. The other questions are related to possible future tests, and your financial situation with no medical insurance. These are two separate issues, so we can address them separately.

Your medical questions left unanswered after your previous tests:
1. TSH levels are low, and from your research, you understand this is caused by a condition called "hyperthyroidism". Ask your doctor about this condition, and if your lab results indicate this or another thyroid disease. What are your other thyroid levels (T3 and t4, for example).
2. Your doctor indicated a concern of cancer. What type (thyroid or something else?). The ultrasound and iodine tests came back negative for cancer. What are the exact other tests they are wanting to conduct? What are they hoping these other three tests would show (are they diagnostic tests?)
3. Why is there a concern of cancer; what was the initial test that indicated a chance of cancer (from your TSH level or other blood test?). Get the exact test and result that indicated abnormal cells, and get as much information as you can. Do you have a family history of cancer (and, what type?)

Once you understand your exact diagnosis, what the doctors say the test results indicate from your specific lab (all labs have different ranges of "normal"), as well as what exact tests are still needing to be done and WHY...you will be better able to make choices based on your symptoms, doctor recommendations and financial considerations.

The financial considerations:
1. Please call your doctor's office, hospital or clinic and ask about "self-pay" options or "sliding scale" fees. Typically, you can have services performed for 50% less if you are paying out-of-pocket, and many places have payment options.
2. I realize this is easier said-than-done, but educating yourself on hyperthyroidism, understanding what further testing your doctors recommend, and knowing what payment options are available will help you feel in control and you can make the best decisions based on real information. I would assume your secondary symtpoms would also be alleviated, as they truly sound stress-related (and not related to your primary condition).

You can begin educating yourself on thyroid test results and thyroid conditions at these sites. Please let us know if you need any further help after you talk with your doctor and receive the answers to your questions.
- how to interpret thyroid test
- TSH
- EmpowHER: Top Facts about Hyperthyroidism