My urine smells.... could it be diabetes

By Anonymous February 4, 2010 - 10:07pm

For a few months now my urine has smelt really bad. I know diabetes causes urine to smell sweet, but i can't really say what mine smells of. I feel tired, but i've not lost any weight or needed to drink more. It's not getting better or worse and can smell strong anytime of the day not just in the morning. it's not dark coloured. But the smell is horrible, even my boyfriend can smell it in the bathroom when he goes in, after i have. It does'nt sting or burn and i don't need to go more often. I am not registered with a doctors right now as i've just moved so any help with what you might think it is or what i could do would really help. Thanks

Dear Anon

Strong or bad smelling urine can mean any number of things.

It could be an indication of a Urinary Tract Infection that is not painful as yet or an issue with your kidneys. You can mean more about UTIs here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/urinary-tract-infection-uti

Are you taking any medications? These can affect the smell of urine. Remember to drink plenty of water as dehydration can affect the smell. That very strong smell of sweetness is connected to diabetes but if you have no other signs of diabetes then you may not need to be concerned about this. However, a blood test might need to be administered to alleviate any concerns.

Sometimes, urine with a foul odor is an indication of an infection so I think a urine test might be a good idea for you. It's a simple pee-in-a -cup procedure that will take just a few days to get results.

Please answer some of my questions and think about getting a urine test. We look forward to helping you further!

Acute Cystitis is another possibility - you can read about this here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/acute-cystitis

It could also be caused by your diet. What kind of foods do you eat?