My wifes blood pressure was 99/81 this a.m.

150lbs 55yrs old 5'tall. Works as clerk for public utility.Our children are grown and gone. Just us two here. BP has been fluctuating for 7 - 10 days mostly hi though.Doctor has started her today on metotoprolol ER 25mg once daily.

Anon - dehydration after a night of rest can also cause a.m. blood pressure drop. It has happened to me (female in my low 40's, on lotrel) and resolved after my Dr. lowered my lotrel dose. I keep a glass of water by the bed and drink it all first thing in the morning.

How long was your wife up this morning before taking the b/p? What position was she in? Typically BP is lower first thing when rising from a sleep. Also, has she been experiencing any dizziness with this low BP? Force some fluids, get her moving a bit and retake her BP in same arm and in same postion as before-see what the readings are now?

Thanks for your question and for looking out for your wife!

Her blood pressure is much lower today, was is low before she started on the medication, or after?

Does her doctor have any other concerns with regard to her heart health/blood pressure?

Has your wife talked about losing a little weight? At 5' and 150 lbs, losing some weight is a good idea and could help stabilize her blood pressure so she can be medication free.

When you say her BP has been fluctuating for 7-10 days - has it always been normal before?