ask: Nausea, no periods, 2 negative pregnancy tests...

By Bridgie

I'm 27 and came off the pill last October after having been on it for approx. 8 years. For the first 2 months afterwards I got my period fairly regularly (November the 16th, then December 19th), but have not had a period since then (it's now the 5th February). For the last 3-4 weeks I've felt intermittently nauseated, light headed, and today had persistent lower back pain (more to the right side, but I have experienced lower back pain in the past). I've taken 2 home pregnancy tests, both negative (my partner and I use the withdrawal method at times, which I do realise isn't reliable birth control).

Information on the www is so scattered and diverse! My symptoms could mean a multitude of things!
I have booked myself in to see a doctor next week, but am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what it could be.
Thanks :)

Bridgie

Hi,
Thanks for the info.

I've visited a doctor, have had blood taken, and also had a pelvic ultrasound.
Am awaiting the blood test results but the ultrasound showed I have polyfollicular ovaries, hence the missing periods. This has huge implications - especially since I was hoping to become pregnant this year. I feel pretty crushed. I think I always took it for granted that I'd be able to conceive without any issues.
I did forget to mention in my first post that my sister was diagnosed with having polyfollicular ovaries a few months ago, and apparently there is a link down the female line with polcystic ovaries.

No news re: the nausea yet, I'll have to ask my doctor again.

My next step is to wait for the results of the blood test, and the ultrasound report, and take things from there. It's going to be a hard wait, but hopefully not a long one.
I am keen to look into natural therapies also - anything that may help.

I hope this post has been helpful to someone, if not to only raise awareness of the need to monitor what your body is doing. Before I went on the pill I did not get my period regularly/monthly, but thought that was just me, so didn't investigate it any further. I wish I had now, (or wish I had known to look into it at least) so that I could have had an earlier chance to treat the problem. Hopefully it's not too late!

B

Hi again Bridgie

With regard to "womb cancer" which I assume is uterine cancer, there may be a genetic component but don't panic - there is a genetic component to nearly all cancers but many (often most) there is no genetic link. Read more about uterine cancer here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/uterine-cancer#definition

Your sister's abnormal cells sounds like she has a sexually transmitted disease called HPV. This virus is the cause of over 90% of cervical cancer and HPV is due to the transmission of the disease via sexual activity - therefore is not genetic. For the women who get cervical cancer without the presence of HPV, it may be a secondary cancer (meaning the cancer spread to the cervix and did not begin there) or there may be a slight risk of it being genetic. However, the vast majority of cases are due to to having HPV. You can read more about HPV and cervical cancer risks here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/cervical-cancer

We do not need to take pregnancy tests first thing in the morning anymore. They are generally accurate at any time of the day or not. Digital tests are easy to read because they simply say "PREGNANT" or "NOT PREGNANT" and you don't have to worry about looking for lines.

Your diet, exercise and sleep routines are pretty good - keep it up!

You may want to try for a digital test or hold tight and see what the doctor says. Will you please keep us updated? I wish you the best!

Hi Bridgie

I agree that your symptoms could mean myriad of things but I am still leaning towards pregnancy (for now!). Nausea, lightheadedness and lack of a period (and occasional unprotected sex, even the withdrawal method) is very much a sign of pregnancy.

However, other reasons for your symptoms could include stress, a bad diet, lack of sleep or a problem with your reproductive system, including something hormonal.

Are you eating enough? Do you exercise to a degree that it can be several hours per day? Do you have stress in your life?

I think it's a great idea to get checked out. Are you sure you took the pregnancy tests correctly? The second line (the one that indicates pregnancy) can be so light that it's mistaken for a negative test. Did you take a regular test or a digital one?

Hi Susan,
Thanks for replying so quickly!
To address your suggestions one by one...
Recently I have felt a bit stressed (relocated 8 hours down the coast to a new area, started a new job, anxious re: finding a permanent job in light of the financial crisis, etc.) but I have done all of this before without these symptoms... granted I was on the pill at the time though.
I definitely eat enough and eat what I believe is a well balanced diet (cereal for breakfast, lunch is sometimes left overs from dinner the night before or a salad or some soup, and dinner is a cooked meal) and I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, as well as small amount of meat.
I exercise about every 2nd day, and it's only either a 30min walk/jog or an hr of pilates.
I sleep about 7 hrs a night, and my sleeping hours are usually fairly regular because I love my sleep!
Re: problems with my reproductive system... my older sister has previously had abnormal cells removed from her cervix, and I only recently learned that my paternal grandmother died of 'womb cancer' (dad couldn't elaborate any further) - could some of these things be hereditary? I had a pap smear recently with normal results.

The first test I took was a midstream pee test, and I was so anxious that after thinking about it all day I did it in the afternoon, so my pee was possibly diluted, etc.
I did the second one about 5 days later, and it was where you dip the stick into the cup with pee. I did this one in the morning, and timed it properly. (I've never seen a digital test, are they more accurate?)

I wonder if it could be something hormonal, I've been feeling a bit grouchy lately.

I guess I can only wait and see what the doctor says! If I'm pregnant that's definitely fine, and if not it's fine also as we weren't yet actively trying... Will let you know what I find out :)

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: