Urinary Tract Infection

Urinary Tract Infection Guide

ask: Nearly constant urinary tract infections?

I suffer from a nearly constant UTI (Urinary tract infection). My doctor has told me that it is probably because I have a lot of sex (with one partner) and sex changes the pH of the vagina. She gave me a bunch of things do that would hopefully stop the UTI from coming back, such as urinating right after sex and making sure everything is well lubricated. I've also taken medications, but it only seems to solve the problem for a few days.

However, IT DOES NOT GO AWAY.

Does this happen to anybody else? And if it has, how did you get rid of it? Or am I doomed to have to urinate ever five seconds for the rest of my life?

Anonymous

I am 47 and have had constant utis for the last 8 months. My doc tested me and said my hormones are low, and that has affected my bladder. Apparently this is very common. I have started on vaginal hormones to repair the problem, along with daily low dose antibiotics until my bladder heals. Frequent utis damage the bladder lining and make it impossible for the bladder to fight infection, from what my doc said. Hopefully this info will help some of you. Stress can cause low estrogen as well as being near menopause.
Be well!
Tess

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you so much for telling us your story, Tess. 

Testimonies like this are what help our readers the most! 

Anonymous

I suffer from constant UTIs I get them every couple days. I found what helps is drinking a lot of water (or any kind of liquid) and emptying your bladder completely. I do this early morning before work (usually pee like 8x) because it's hard for me to constantly get up and pee once I'm working. I also stopped using baby powder, that has helped me out a lot. I'm praying for all you out there who suffer because I completely understand and feel what you are going through.

Anonymous

I feel urinary discomfort often and read somewhere that alka seltzer would help. Of course I thought it was ridiculous until I tried it. It actually helps me and has stopped me from getting a full blown infection that required antibiotics. I have had so many and been tested and treated until I was willing to try anything. I also must drink 64 oz of water everyday!!

Thanks for this tip, Anon - it may really help our readers.

As we all know, UTI's are miserable.

undefierwwer

I'm 48 years old. Starting in April-May of 2012, I began to wake up frequently at night to use the bathroom. The number of times I woke up gradually increased to about two to five times a night.

I'm usually very skeptical of the claims of supplement makers. I take a multivitamin, cinnamon to reduce my blood sugar and niacin to reduce my triglycerides. (Both were recommended by my doctor). After doing much research online, I suspected that my problem was due to Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)--a common condition of men 50+ yrs old. During a doctor's office visit, I asked him about taking a supplement. He was positive about trying a supplement to relieve my waking up at night to go to the bathroom.

I researched several different brands and decided to try the Dr Max Powers Prostate Supplement. Within a week and a half of starting the supplements, I was only waking once or not at all at night. I've been taking the supplements for about 4 months now and recommend them.

Jasmine Santa Maria

I suffer from frequent urinary tract infections (unfortunately I would get one about 50% of the time after intercourse--even after urinating directly afterwards). I started taking Lady Soma's Cranberry Supplement (the maximum of 4 a day) only when I had intercourse, or when I felt a UTI coming on (although once I felt it coming on, it was sometimes too late). My UTIs are way down from how frequently I was getting them without the lady soma cranberry supplement. I have lost my health insurance and was concerned about the expense of having to go to the doctor or ER for UTI's, so I began taking 2 pills a day (and 4 on the days that I have intercourse), and have not had a problem since.

Anonymous

hi im 22 and been suffering with UTI's for nearly 2 years! at first i had thrush cystitus which led to water infection which led to kidney infection, ( which was hell) course of anti biotics and it vanished! .. a few weeks later that searing pain was back, went to my doctor had urine tests which was positive for protein this was going on for weeks! some days i would curl up in a ball and cry im not in a relationship and i dont sleep about but i used to enjoy sex very much, i used to have a very high sex drive now its vanished its effecting everything i do some days i cant even sit walk cross my legs wear knickers nothing my vagina is throbbing ive got pain all over the place down there i dont no if thats normal or not but im in discomfort everyday! anyways seen my doc she couldnt understand why i keep getting them she did bloods to see if i had diabetes these came back fine ive had swabs all came back fine, im going back down tommorow she said that she will transfer me to see a urologist but looking at some of these post's no ones getting answers, im physically and mentally annoyed from this, im jjust praying there is some sort of cure for this!

i have had chronic uti's since i was 16. at first it only happened once every few months weather i was sexually active or not, now its got to the point where i think it has just never gone away. ive had a uti for about a month straight and im back to the same google search looking for some sort of something to make all this pain stop. i cant have sex with my boyfriend in denmark and it really sucks because i only see him during the summers luckily for me the hospitals are free here so i can get tx with out payment! but they only keep putting me on more antibiotics and im pretty sure that by now im immune to most that are out there. ive tried supplements, cranberries, everything out there! i have never found a cure..so i just wanted you to know that i feel your pain, and if you ever find out how to stop this please post it!

I'm sorry this is happening to you; many of our readers are dealing with something similar and we can get a real sense of the pain and frustration. Please let us know an update from the urologist when you can.