ask: Nearly constant urinary tract infections?

I suffer from a nearly constant UTI (Urinary tract infection). My doctor has told me that it is probably because I have a lot of sex (with one partner) and sex changes the pH of the vagina. She gave me a bunch of things do that would hopefully stop the UTI from coming back, such as urinating right after sex and making sure everything is well lubricated. I've also taken medications, but it only seems to solve the problem for a few days.

Does this happen to anybody else? And if it has, how did you get rid of it? Or am I doomed to have to urinate ever five seconds for the rest of my life?

Stop taking birth control pills. Worked for me.

I suffered from UTI's for over 3 years, it was the WORST pain ever! I took antibiotics at least twice a month for over 3 years, I was really depressed. At the same time, I realised I had candida (thrush) overgrowth. The doctor gave me 1 sachet of MONUROL, 1 oral FLUCONAZOLE and 1 Fluconazole suppository. He also told me to take PROBIOTICS every day! And the combination of this treatment worked for me & I've never suffered from UTI's ever again! Hope this information will help others too!

Anonymous (reply to Mimikitty)

I'm 22 next month and my mum is 43 we both have bin suffering since the age of 5 our water infections are constantly there will not shift evening taking antibiotics. I go to the doctors they dip stick my urine sample it says I've got blood and protein in my urine and I have a water infection but when they send to sample off it doesn't grow anything, ive had a bladder stretch once didn't work and my mums has had it twice and didn't work I'm sick of going doctors they don't have a clue what's causing them my next option is going for a MRI scan on my pelvis to see if anything shows. I'm sick of feeling sick weak and tired all the time I just want to feel normal.

I'm 24 and have had reoccuring uti's since before I can remember (maybe around 5 or 6 years old) Around that time I had a surgery to lengthen my urethra and all was fine until maybe 6 years ago when they started back. They aren't due to sex, or that I don't drink enough water.
I most recently had one so bad it felt like it was affecting my kidneys but when I went to the hospital the doctor said my urine tested negative for any bacteria. My family doctor also recently mentioned that my urethra may not have fully developed as i've gotten older since I was so young when I had the surgery.
So just a thought to some of you, it may be caused by the length of your urethra.

I am 47 and have had constant utis for the last 8 months. My doc tested me and said my hormones are low, and that has affected my bladder. Apparently this is very common. I have started on vaginal hormones to repair the problem, along with daily low dose antibiotics until my bladder heals. Frequent utis damage the bladder lining and make it impossible for the bladder to fight infection, from what my doc said. Hopefully this info will help some of you. Stress can cause low estrogen as well as being near menopause.
Be well!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you so much for telling us your story, Tess. 

Testimonies like this are what help our readers the most! 

I suffer from constant UTIs I get them every couple days. I found what helps is drinking a lot of water (or any kind of liquid) and emptying your bladder completely. I do this early morning before work (usually pee like 8x) because it's hard for me to constantly get up and pee once I'm working. I also stopped using baby powder, that has helped me out a lot. I'm praying for all you out there who suffer because I completely understand and feel what you are going through.

I feel urinary discomfort often and read somewhere that alka seltzer would help. Of course I thought it was ridiculous until I tried it. It actually helps me and has stopped me from getting a full blown infection that required antibiotics. I have had so many and been tested and treated until I was willing to try anything. I also must drink 64 oz of water everyday!!

Thanks for this tip, Anon - it may really help our readers.

As we all know, UTI's are miserable.

I'm 48 years old. Starting in April-May of 2012, I began to wake up frequently at night to use the bathroom. The number of times I woke up gradually increased to about two to five times a night.

I'm usually very skeptical of the claims of supplement makers. I take a multivitamin, cinnamon to reduce my blood sugar and niacin to reduce my triglycerides. (Both were recommended by my doctor). After doing much research online, I suspected that my problem was due to Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)--a common condition of men 50+ yrs old. During a doctor's office visit, I asked him about taking a supplement. He was positive about trying a supplement to relieve my waking up at night to go to the bathroom.

I researched several different brands and decided to try the Dr Max Powers Prostate Supplement. Within a week and a half of starting the supplements, I was only waking once or not at all at night. I've been taking the supplements for about 4 months now and recommend them.

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :