Never Ending Digestive Discomfort

By August 8, 2013 - 7:48am

So along with my ovarian cyst problem, I also have some digestive issues. About a year ago I went on vacation. I had what I though was really bad food poisoning. I was in the bathroom at least 20 times a day and just felt really sick. My stool was mostly some kind of mucus, it was just really disgusting. I even lost about 10 lbs. When I came back home I went to a gastroenterologist. He ran a fecal and it came back clear for any bacteria. He gave me antibiotics just to be safe.

So its been a year now and I am still experiencing similar symptoms. I have had blood in my stool now off and on for a year. One week I will be constipated and the next it could be diarrhea. Its very unpredictable, I never know when it is going to happen. Then I will have one week where I am completely normal. It has really left me drained. I used to be very active, but I just don't have the energy any more

Hi trinity

Interesting topic here since I am going through the same thing. 

I think you need to talk to your doctor about a post-infectious condition you may now have due to an infection you got on vacation. You may have post-infectious IBS, gastroenteritis or may have developed an allergy to gluten or to dairy due to the original infection you got. 

You need allergy testing and a talk about IBS. You'd be surprised how an infection can trigger something in your immune system that can cause huge intestinal issues due to new allergies. I am going through the exact same process now and I feel your pain. I will be in hospital this evening for more testing. Don't give up and stay in touch with us!

Thanks for the suggestions. I went to my gastro and ended up going for a colonoscopy and some blood tests. It was very expensive but definitely worth it. My insides were very inflammed. Turns out, I have Crohn's. Not what I wanted to hear but I am so glad that I finally know whats going on

Allergies Guide