Never Too Old? Indian Woman, 72, Gives Birth to Twins

This story out of India makes me wonder how old it too old for children? One of the twins was apparently conceived through in vitro fertilization.

How old do you think is too old to be a parent? Would you have children at 72?

My first reaction when I read the headline was that I'd never want a child at 72 but who is to tell anyone what they can or cannot do? If they are healthy and financially sound, have at it!

I think it may be one thing to have a child at that age because you just absolutely positively are desperate for a child!

But this couple simply wanted a son. That doesn't sit well with me. They are also in debt from the IVF and are poor - who will look after these children (twins!) when the parents die? The mother is not in good health already. I can't imagine being 72 and taking care of newborn twins. I hope she and her husband have extended family who can help out on a daily basis. Which, of course, will be hard for others when they may have children of their own.

We can all lose our parents, at any age. Young people die all the time, leaving young children behind. That's what life hands us. But to have a child simply because you want a boy, and doing it at an elderly age when you have neither the health nor resources to care for them is iffy, to say the least. And it makes me sad for the female twin. I hope she doesn't feel like she's second best. Countries like India and China put so much emphasis and importance on male children. Female children are seen as burdens.

I genuinely feel for people who want a child, but 72 seems a little on the high side to me. I'm afraid these children may lose both parents at a very young age. I would not want to give birth at 72, although I completely admire this woman who seems to have formidable strength.