Newly diagnosed with Hypothyroidism

By May 13, 2009 - 8:36am

I was having severe neurological problems with hands, legs, lips, tongue, but especially feet, (Numbness, color change, stabbing pain, tingling, restless leg)-Oh, I even had bouts where it was hard swallowing at times...when I finally went to the doctor who did a blood test. After seeing my TSH at 114 my doctor concluded that I was Hypothyroid and perscribed 0.1 mg Levothyroxine which got me to a TSH level of 22.98 on my last blood test. So he took me to .125 mg of Levothyroxine but I have two more weeks to go before recheck. Most of my neurological symtoms are gone, (Hooray!)except my energy level is still quite low, my thinking and memory is still "lacking" and I am having issues with my left achilles tendon. After resting or sleeping my achilles feels "stiff" until I work it out. I actually limp for a while until it becomes "flexable" again. Weird. All this to ask: Should I go to a specialist? Since I have apparently been Hypothyroid for years, could my whole system be "out of whack" and need more testing like for Vitamin D deficiency? Do I need to know exactally if I have Hashimoto's? Is it wrong to request T3 in conjunction with Levothyroxine to get my memory back on track and my energy up?

I am happy that your neurological symptoms have gone away. It's been a while since you posted I hope you are feeling better. I had many of the same symptoms before being properly treated. The TSH you have listed here is too high. In my case, I still had symptoms on synthroid and it wasn't until I started taking Nature-throid, that includes T3, that I finally started feeling better. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism following the birth of my first son in 2006 and experienced many of the symptoms you have listed. I trusted my doctors completely assuming they knew everything there was to know about this disease, especially when I became pregnant again in late 2008. How wrong I was! Under their care my TSH, the gold standard for measuring thyroid function, rose high above the safe range for pregnancy and I miscarried. I vowed to myself that I would research everything there was to know about hypothyroidism and warn other women. I fulfilled my vow and launched my blog Hypothyroidmom.com in memory of the baby I lost to hypothyroidism.

Dear MotherMomOrama

Thanks so much for your question and welcome to EmpowHer!

I'm so glad that your neurological symptoms have cleared up - that must be a great relief to you.

You are not wrong at all to request further investigation into your other symptoms. One reason is that some may well be connected to your hypothyroidism - another is that they (especially your Achilles tendon) may have nothing at all to do with them and these other symptoms may need a different method of healing/ treatment.

Did you take a look at our hypothyroidism page: it's full of information that is very helpful - http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/hypothyroidism - tell us what you think!

It may serve you well to go back to your doctor in two weeks for your recheck and have him/her evaluate your other symptoms.

Is your diet fresh and healthy and are you sleeping well? Do you exercise? These can tremendously affect sleep and energy levels...and also, do you mind telling us your age?

Hypothyroidism Guide